saadhunika

  • Khemaramsi
    Message 1 of 9 , May 20, 2006
      Dear friends

      I encounter a problematic word when reading Mahasi Sayadaw's Visuddhi~naan.akathaa, i.e.

      saadhunikaneyyapuggalla

      translated by Nyanaponika Thera as

      'persons of the present day, who had to be given guidance'.

      I can't find 'saadhunika' in any of my dictionaries. Does it mean 'of the present day' and derive from sa-adhunaa-ika? Thanks in advance?

      with metta

      Tzung Kuen

      Sotthi te hotu sabbadaa 願幸福永遠伴隨您May there always be happiness for you
      ___________________________________________________ 最新版 Yahoo!奇摩即時通訊 7.0,免費網路電話任你打! http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 9 , May 20, 2006
        Dear Tzung Kuen
        op 20-05-2006 16:38 schreef Khemaramsi op tzungkuen@...:

        > I can't find 'saadhunika' in any of my dictionaries. Does it mean 'of the
        > present day' and derive from sa-adhunaa-ika? Thanks in advance?
        ---
        Saadhu: good, virtuous. Ika ending is to make it an adjective (Warder p.
        253), and the n is put in between. But I stand to be corrected.
        Nina.
      • Khemaramsi
        Message 3 of 9 , May 20, 2006
          Dear Nina

          Many thanks for the answer. Saadhu-n-ika is a good solution. But, I wonder why Nyanaponika Thera translated it as 'of the present day', and there is no terms such as 'good', 'virtuous' in his translation.

          with metta

          Tzung Kuen
          > I can't find 'saadhunika' in any of my dictionaries. Does it mean 'of the
          > present day' and derive from sa-adhunaa-ika? Thanks in advance?
          ---
          Saadhu: good, virtuous. Ika ending is to make it an adjective (Warder p.
          253), and the n is put in between. But I stand to be corrected.

          Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
          [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
          [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

          ---------------------------------

          Sotthi te hotu sabbadaa 願幸福永遠伴隨您May there always be happiness for you
          ___________________________________________________ 最新版 Yahoo!奇摩即時通訊 7.0,免費網路電話任你打! http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/

        • Stephen Hodge
          Message 4 of 9 , May 20, 2006
            Dear Tzung Kuen,

            Many thanks for the answer. Saadhu-n-ika is a good solution. But, I wonder
            why Nyanaponika Thera translated it as 'of the present day', and there is no
            terms such as 'good', 'virtuous' in his translation.
            *****
            Perhaps he was reading a derivative "aadhunika" from "adhunaa"-- 'recent'.

            Best wishes,
            Stephen Hodge
          • Dhammanando Bhikkhu
            Message 5 of 9 , May 21, 2006
              Tzung Kuen:

              > I encounter a problematic word when reading Mahasi Sayadaw's
              > Visuddhi~naan.akathaa, i.e. saadhunikaneyyapuggalla
              > translated by Nyanaponika Thera as 'persons of the present
              > day, who had to be given guidance'. I can't find
              > 'saadhunika' in any of my dictionaries. Does it mean 'of the
              > present day'

              Yes.

              > and derive from sa-adhunaa-ika?

              Almost. It should be sa + aadhunika. The aadhunika comes
              from adhunaa + .nika. Taddhitas formed with the .nika suffix
              require a strengthening of the vowel in the first syllable if it
              is a monophthong followed by a single consonant. Thus:
              a => aa; i/ii => e; u/uu => o.

              adhunaa => aadhunika
              abhidhamma => aabhidhammika
              sakyaputta => saakyaputtika

              Best wishes,
              Dhammanando
            • Khemaramsi
              Message 6 of 9 , May 21, 2006
                Dear Bhante

                Thanks very much for the detailed explanation.

                -------------------
                Almost. It should be sa + aadhunika. The aadhunika comes
                from adhunaa + .nika. Taddhitas formed with the .nika suffix
                require a strengthening of the vowel in the first syllable if it
                is a monophthong followed by a single consonant. Thus:
                a => aa; i/ii => e; u/uu => o.
                --------------------------------

                A further question, what is the function of 'sa-' in this compound 'saadhunika', since 'aadhunika' means already 'now living' , 'of the present moment' according to Critical Pali Dictionary?
                Both saha 'together' and saya.m 'own ' seem do not work here?

                much metta

                Message 7 of 9 , May 21, 2006
                  Tzung Kuen,

                  > A further question, what is the function of 'sa-' in this
                  > compound 'saadhunika', since 'aadhunika' means already 'now
                  > living' , 'of the present moment' according to Critical Pali
                  > Dictionary? Both saha 'together' and saya.m 'own ' seem do
                  > not work here?

                  I am not sure, but would guess that it is either pleonastic, or else
                  denotes something shared or collective. As siblings are
                  "together-wombed", sodariya (= sa + udariya), meaning that they have
                  shared the same womb, so all those presently alive are
                  "together-moderned", that is to say, they exist together in the present
                  and recent time (addhunaa).

                  Best wishes,
                  Dhammanando
                • Khemaramsi
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 22, 2006
                    Bhante

                    Thanks again for your very helpful explanation.

                    much metta

                    Tzung Kuen

                    I am not sure, but would guess that it is either pleonastic, or else
                    denotes something shared or collective. As siblings are
                    "together-wombed", sodariya (= sa + udariya), meaning that they have
                    shared the same womb, so all those presently alive are
                    "together-moderned", that is to say, they exist together in the present
                    and recent time (addhunaa).

                    Sotthi te hotu sabbadaa 願幸福永遠伴隨您May there always be happiness for you
                    ___________________________________________________ 最新版 Yahoo!奇摩即時通訊 7.0,免費網路電話任你打! http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/

                  • Jacques Huynen
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 22, 2006
                      Incidentaly, if it can be of any help as a mnemo : it
                      seems that "sa(with)-addhunaa(present time)" has
                      exactly the same (indo-european) structure as
                      "con(=with)-temporary" from latin
                      "cum(with)+temporaneus.

                      Yours in the Dhamma

                      Jacques Huynen