Re: The Buddha's racial appearance

  • thomaslaw03
    Message 1 of 40 , May 9, 2006
      Hi Dmytro,

      To my understanding, the caste system (varna and jati) is determined by
      social classes and by birth. So the social status of a Brahmana or
      Ksatriya cannot be dismissed as Vasala or Outcast by becoming a
      Sramana/Samana. They are born to be a particular caste status.

      Regards,

      Thomas Law

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...> wrote:

      > Hi Thomas,
      >
      > > According to Sutta Nipata 1. 7. Vasalasutta, the Buddha was
      regarded
      > > as Vasala (Outcast) by a Brahmana.
      >
      > Many followers of the Buddha that have gone forth have been despised
      as
      > well, just because they lived by begging for food, like an outcastes.
      > And almost all of the followers have been born in higher varnas.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Dmytro

    • gurusinha sena
      Message 40 of 40 , Apr 22 10:54 PM
        ANDROID
        APPLICATION OF
        ILLUSTRATED
        DHAMMAPADA
        BY
        VEN. WERAGODA
        SARADA NAYAKA MAHA THERO

        In the fast moving world every
        person is a prisoner of time.  For those
        who are in hunger for wisdom, we provide the Teachings of the Buddha on their
        palms, in the form of a mobile application.

        Dhammapada Android application
        features the same illustrations and Pali verses of the original book and more.
        Here you can listen to stanzas in Pali Language with audio English translation.

        May this be a gift to all the
        Buddhists and others who likes to read in the world.

        If you like the Dhammapada
        application on Android, please donate, so that we can continue our service to
        digitize more books onto the Android platform.