Vipassana

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 6, 2006
      Hello.

      I am not sure if the subject is appropriate for the group, if it is not, please
      see the post as irrelevant.

      Is it asserted by Theravada monks that Vipassana (of the Theravada tradition) is
      the original way to practice the Satipathana sutta? Or do they say it was
      "adapted", or alternatively "rediscovered"?

      I think Zen practice also is said to be based upon Satipathana sutta, though it
      is different from Vipassana. And I am not sure whether the Tibetan version of
      practice of "The four foundations of mindfulness" is the same as Vipassana
      approach.

      Have a good day

    • "Kåre A. Lie"
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 6, 2006
        At 19:11 06.04.2006 +0300, you wrote:
        >Hello.
        >
        >I am not sure if the subject is appropriate for the group, if it is not,
        >please
        >see the post as irrelevant.
        >

        >Is it asserted by Theravada monks that Vipassana (of the Theravada
        >tradition) is
        >the original way to practice the Satipathana sutta? Or do they say it was
        >"adapted", or alternatively "rediscovered"?

        There is not ONE way to practice the Satipatthana sutta. There are
        different practical approaches, according to different teachers and their
        interpretations.

        I suggest you read Jack Kornfield "Living Buddhist Masters", to find a good
        survey of some of those different approaches.

        Best regards,

        Kåre A. Lie
        http://www.lienet.no