satipatthana/vedananupassana

  • nikayas
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
      I am using the VRI cd rom and it appears that the majjhima nikaya,
      mulapannasapali section has MN.1.55, the Mahasatipatthan Sutta instead
      of the Satipatthana Sutta. Would anyone know anything on this? More
      over, Boisvert, in his 'The Five Aggregates' says that the
      term 'aamisaa' (worldly) is used in the vedananupassana section of the
      Satipatthana Sutta, whereas in the vedananupassana section of the
      Mahasatipatthana Sutta, the term used for worldly is [on the VRI cd
      rom], 'saamisa'. As far as I had understood it, the two presentations
      of vedananupassana were exactly the same. Would anyone have an idea
      about this?

      Mike
    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
        Dear Mike Nikayas,
        Welcome.
        I only have hardcovers.I use the transl of Ven. Soma, and the Pali
        Papañcasuudanii: saamisa and the opposite niraamisaa, based on nekhamma.
        Aamisa is flesh, material. The feeling is: sa+ aamisa. With what is worldly.
        Nina.
        op 04-04-2006 18:01 schreef nikayas op nikayas@...:

        > I am using the VRI cd rom and it appears that the majjhima nikaya,
        > mulapannasapali section has MN.1.55, the Mahasatipatthan Sutta instead
        > of the Satipatthana Sutta. Would anyone know anything on this? More
        > over, Boisvert, in his 'The Five Aggregates' says that the
        > term 'aamisaa' (worldly) is used in the vedananupassana section of the
        > Satipatthana Sutta, whereas in the vedananupassana section of the
        > Mahasatipatthana Sutta, the term used for worldly is [on the VRI cd
        > rom], 'saamisa'. As far as I had understood it, the two presentations
        > of vedananupassana were exactly the same. Would anyone have an idea
        > about this?
      • nikayas
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2006
          Thanks Nina. Has there been a translation to English of the
          Papañcasuudanii?

          Mike

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, nina van gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

          > Dear Mike Nikayas,
          > Welcome.
          > I only have hardcovers.I use the transl of Ven. Soma, and the Pali
          > Papañcasuudanii: saamisa and the opposite niraamisaa, based on
          nekhamma.
          > Aamisa is flesh, material. The feeling is: sa+ aamisa. With what is
          worldly.
          > Nina.
          > op 04-04-2006 18:01 schreef nikayas op nikayas@...:
          >
          > > I am using the VRI cd rom and it appears that the majjhima nikaya,
          > > mulapannasapali section has MN.1.55, the Mahasatipatthan Sutta
          instead
          > > of the Satipatthana Sutta. Would anyone know anything on this?
          More
          > > over, Boisvert, in his 'The Five Aggregates' says that the
          > > term 'aamisaa' (worldly) is used in the vedananupassana section
          of the
          > > Satipatthana Sutta, whereas in the vedananupassana section of the
          > > Mahasatipatthana Sutta, the term used for worldly is [on the VRI
          cd
          > > rom], 'saamisa'. As far as I had understood it, the two
          presentations
          > > of vedananupassana were exactly the same. Would anyone have an
          idea
          > > about this?

        • rett
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7, 2006
            >Thanks Nina. Has there been a translation to English of the
            >Papañcasuudanii?

            Hi Mike,

            I saw that your question was to Nina but thought I'd answer as long as I'm logged in anyway. As far as I know the Papañcasuudanii has not been translated in its entirety into English. But if you are interested in what it says about the Satipa.t.thaanasutta, you can turn to Soma Thera's _The Way of Mindfulness_, which is available from BPS in Kandy. It translates the commentary as well as including extracts from the .tiikaa.

            best regards,

            /Rett
          • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7, 2006
              Hi Mike and Rett,

              > As far as I know the Papañcasuudanii has not been translated in its entirety into English. But if you are interested in what it says about the Satipa.t.thaanasutta, you can turn to Soma Thera's _The Way of Mindfulness_, which is available from BPS in Kandy. It translates the commentary as well as including extracts from the .tiikaa.

              It is available at:
              http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/soma/wayof.html

              Best regards, Dmytro
            • nina van gorkom
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 7, 2006
                Dear Mike Nikayas,
                No.
                Nina.
                op 07-04-2006 11:17 schreef nikayas op nikayas@...:

                > Thanks Nina. Has there been a translation to English of the
                > Papañcasuudanii?
                >
                > Mike
              • Zhaojie
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 12, 2006
                  Dear Sir: I have not receive any Pali group later
                  email, I wonder if anything wrong with this net.
                  Zhoajie

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • joseph
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 13, 2006
                    --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Zhaojie <fietaiyi@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Sir: I have not receive any Pali group later

                    here too, no mail from the Pali group for the last few days,
                    what's going on?
                    Bhikkhu Jothiko