Re: Thai: samnak song

  • sritantra
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2006
      I am very thankful to Nina Van Gorkom and Venerable Dhammanando for
      their kind assistance. Dhammanando particularly reflects in his post an
      exquisitely heuristic range of research interests. Might the two of you
      only indulge me further

      1. Assuming samnak is indeed a loan word from Classical Khmer, how might
      we ascertain the term's true sense? In other words, what might be the
      Sk/P word from which samnak is derived? Goggle brings up Khmer samnag.
      Parsing this word as sam + nag provides some pretty clear Sanskritic
      intimation. However Monier-Williams has nil.

      2. How about this? Could a reconstructed meaning be drawn from sam +
      nak/nag? Thus nak becomes a Thai modification of the Classical Khmer
      nag, as derived from the Sanskrit naga (no long vowels). Naga would
      signify/imply and transfer the meaning(s) of 'mountain & tree' - hence
      'fixity and firmness'. In a similar way (if I'm not mistaken), Pali na +
      gacchati also means 'immovable' ('like a mountain').

      3. To shepherd my question in another direction, may I assume the Thai
      samnak to be a 'purely secular' term? That is, minus any qualifier -
      e.g. song, patibat, yokha, et al - does samnak ('centre, union') aver to
      anything more than a social organization, association, society, club,
      institute, etc? Is samnak ever a stand-alone word?

      Best regards,

      sritantra

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, nina van gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

      > Venerable Sritantra,
      >
      > op 01-04-2006 05:57 schreef sritantra op sritantra@...:
      >
      > > Now as for "song", according to at least one monastic Thai-speaker
      it
      > > is a colloquialization (or linguistic alteration) of Sk/P sangha. I
      > > would appreciate any verification or refutation of this.
      > >
      > > In brief, does anybody have any clear idea as to the derivation
      > > of "samnak"? Being of two syllables, my instincts tell me that it
      > > must be Sanskrit/Pali in origin.
      > -------
      > N: yes, song is sangha, community.
      > samnak I recall: a center. Samnak patibat, a meditation center.
      > With respect,
      > Nina.

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2006