Question on Lesson 4 of Pali Primer

  • hjor9
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25 11:38 PM
      Howdy,

      I'm on Lesson 4 now of da Silva's Pali Primer and I had a question
      about word order when you have two accusatives.

      In the English->Pali translation exercises, numbers 16 and 25 are:
      16. Merchants bring horses to the palace from the island.
      25. Fishermen bring fish to the village in carts.

      When I was doing the exercises, I answered as follows (apologies if I
      mess up the Pali formatting):
      16. Vaa.nijaa diipamhaa paasaada.m asse aaharanti.
      25. Dhiivaraa saka.tehi gaama.m macche aaharanti.

      I was just guessing that the direct object should go next to the verb.

      The answer key gives these answers however:
      16. Vaa.nijaa diipamhaa asse paasaada.m aaharanti.
      25. Dhiivaraa saka.tehimacche gaama.m aaharanti.

      "horses" and "palace" are flip-flopped from my guess. Same with
      "fish" and "village". Does the word order matter? Are my answers
      right or wrong? Just curious :).

      Thanks!
      Adios,
      Thomas