Re: [Pali] Re: Detailed translation

  • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2006
      Dear Florent,

      Gathas 1-82 are set up for "Arial Unicode MS" font.

      Gathas from 83 onward are set up for "Foreign1" font.

      You can download it at
      http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/font/foreign1.zip

      It is often problematic to view Unicode text in Microsoft Explorer.

      Firefox is best suited for this.

      > I even
      > tried once for example to convert my word document with Velthuis
      > transcriptions into a document with a font using the diacritical marks
      > by using the function find/replace. I was using the LeedsBit
      > PaliTranslit Font and then had to find the ALT combination for a
      > certain letter (eg. ALT230=.m) but couldn't even find them for all. I
      > tried to find some freeware that would generate that list
      > automatically but never found any. In the end I just got so annoyed
      > that I gave up trying to have it with the diacritical marks.

      What text editor are using? In Open Office or MS Word you can find any
      character in "Insert -> Symbol" character table.

      There are some macros available for Open Office

      http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=22329

      and for MS Word

      http://dhamma.ru/paali/macros.zip

      > Is there somewhere a document or even one of the posts that discusses
      > that font issue in a quite simple and clear way?

      There's no simple solution (except writing a letter to this group :^).

      > Or do you really need
      > to be some sort of font magician to be able to juggle with the
      > different fonts on the different programs/documents/webpages (even
      > installing a program like PaliLookup or CSCD will sometimes not show
      > the diacritical marks when I install them on some computers)?

      In these cases non-Unicode fonts are set up, which sometimes leads to
      problems. PaliLookup or CSCD don't install these fonts properly on some
      operating systems, or these fonts don't work on some operating systems.

      Good luck,
      Dmytro
    • flrobert2000
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
        Dear Dmytro,

        Thanks a lot! It's really magical. Now I can read all the gathas with
        no problems at all! This Pali group is so useful. It would have taken
        me ages to find the solution to this trivial problem.

        I have also been looking at your macros. If I take the macro
        Uni_2_Vethuis it will transliterate a text using diacritical marks
        into the Velthuis scheme I guess. I am actually interested in doing
        the opposite. Does it mean I would simply have to change for example

        .Text = ChrW(257)
        .Replacement.Text = "aa"

        into

        .Text = "aa"
        .Replacement.Text = ChrW(257)

        Thanks again for your valuable help. The thick fog surrounding these
        font issues is slowly cleqring up!

        Florent
      • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
          Dear Florent,

          > I have also been looking at your macros. If I take the macro
          > Uni_2_Vethuis it will transliterate a text using diacritical marks
          > into the Velthuis scheme I guess.

          To be exact, Unicode to Velthuis.

          > I am actually interested in doing
          > the opposite. Does it mean I would simply have to change for example
          >
          > .Text = ChrW(257)
          > .Replacement.Text = "aa"
          >
          > into
          >
          > .Text = "aa"