Re: Detailed translation

  • flrobert2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2006
      Dear Dmytro,

      I was having a look at this great link you posted
      (http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/pali.htm). Maybe you could help
      me with one problem.

      I can read the gathas from 1 to 82 with all the diacritical marks on
      Firefox. On Microsoft Explorer some diacritical marks such as .m .d or
      .n are replaced by a square (see for example on
      http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/pali/reading/gatha82.htm).
      However both browsers have Unicode UTF-8 selected in Page Encoding.

      More annoying, from gatha 83 onward, all the diacritical marks have
      disappeared (see
      http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/pali/reading/gatha83.htm) whether
      on Firefox or Explorer. I tried to change the encoding, looking at the
      html code but could not find a way to see the right letters.

      These font problems are a real mystery for me and I am sorry if my
      question is an obvious one, especially that I noticed that you
      contributed lots of posts on unicode fonts and others already. I even
      tried once for example to convert my word document with Velthuis
      transcriptions into a document with a font using the diacritical marks
      by using the function find/replace. I was using the LeedsBit
      PaliTranslit Font and then had to find the ALT combination for a
      certain letter (eg. ALT230=.m) but couldn't even find them for all. I
      tried to find some freeware that would generate that list
      automatically but never found any. In the end I just got so annoyed
      that I gave up trying to have it with the diacritical marks.

      Is there somewhere a document or even one of the posts that discusses
      that font issue in a quite simple and clear way? Or do you really need
      to be some sort of font magician to be able to juggle with the
      different fonts on the different programs/documents/webpages (even
      installing a program like PaliLookup or CSCD will sometimes not show
      the diacritical marks when I install them on some computers)?

      Thanks in advance for your help,

      Florent

      > Hi Daniel,
      >
      > > I am also looking for a web resource that would provide pali
      sentences and their
      > > translations into english - such a translation that translates
      each word
      > > seperately and indicates the details (e.g. the case, the gender )
      of each word.

      > There's an excellent Dhammapada resource at
      >
      > http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/pali.htm
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Dmytro

    • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2006
        Dear Florent,

        Gathas 1-82 are set up for "Arial Unicode MS" font.

        Gathas from 83 onward are set up for "Foreign1" font.

        You can download it at
        http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/font/foreign1.zip

        It is often problematic to view Unicode text in Microsoft Explorer.

        Firefox is best suited for this.

        > I even
        > tried once for example to convert my word document with Velthuis
        > transcriptions into a document with a font using the diacritical marks
        > by using the function find/replace. I was using the LeedsBit
        > PaliTranslit Font and then had to find the ALT combination for a
        > certain letter (eg. ALT230=.m) but couldn't even find them for all. I
        > tried to find some freeware that would generate that list
        > automatically but never found any. In the end I just got so annoyed
        > that I gave up trying to have it with the diacritical marks.

        What text editor are using? In Open Office or MS Word you can find any
        character in "Insert -> Symbol" character table.

        There are some macros available for Open Office

        http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=22329

        and for MS Word

        http://dhamma.ru/paali/macros.zip

        > Is there somewhere a document or even one of the posts that discusses
        > that font issue in a quite simple and clear way?

        There's no simple solution (except writing a letter to this group :^).

        > Or do you really need
        > to be some sort of font magician to be able to juggle with the
        > different fonts on the different programs/documents/webpages (even
        > installing a program like PaliLookup or CSCD will sometimes not show
        > the diacritical marks when I install them on some computers)?

        In these cases non-Unicode fonts are set up, which sometimes leads to
        problems. PaliLookup or CSCD don't install these fonts properly on some
        operating systems, or these fonts don't work on some operating systems.

        Good luck,
        Dmytro
      • flrobert2000
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
          Dear Dmytro,

          Thanks a lot! It's really magical. Now I can read all the gathas with
          no problems at all! This Pali group is so useful. It would have taken
          me ages to find the solution to this trivial problem.

          I have also been looking at your macros. If I take the macro
          Uni_2_Vethuis it will transliterate a text using diacritical marks
          into the Velthuis scheme I guess. I am actually interested in doing
          the opposite. Does it mean I would simply have to change for example

          .Text = ChrW(257)
          .Replacement.Text = "aa"

          into

          .Text = "aa"
          .Replacement.Text = ChrW(257)

          Thanks again for your valuable help. The thick fog surrounding these
          font issues is slowly cleqring up!

          Florent
        • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
            Dear Florent,

            > I have also been looking at your macros. If I take the macro
            > Uni_2_Vethuis it will transliterate a text using diacritical marks
            > into the Velthuis scheme I guess.

            To be exact, Unicode to Velthuis.

            > I am actually interested in doing
            > the opposite. Does it mean I would simply have to change for example
            >
            > .Text = ChrW(257)
            > .Replacement.Text = "aa"
            >
            > into
            >
            > .Text = "aa"