Question about the passive voice

  • flrobert2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2006
      Dear all,

      Buddhadatta mentions p83 that "(...) in the passive voice the subject
      stands in the Ablative of Agent (...)."

      In this case I don't understand the following constructions in ex26 p85:

      3.Tva.m balinaa purisena aaka.d.dhiiyasi.
      Should it not be purisaa, purisamhaa or purisasmaa?

      6.Iminaa va.d.dhakinaa imasmi.m gaame bahuuni gehaani kariiyanti.
      Should it not be imamhaa, imasmaa or asmaa?

      20.Buddhena devaana.m manussaana.m ca dhammo bhaasiiyati.
      Should it not be buddhasmaa, buddhamhaa or buddhaa?

      Thank you for your help,

      Florent
    • rett
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2006
        >Dear all,
        >
        >Buddhadatta mentions p83 that "(...) in the passive voice the subject
        >stands in the Ablative of Agent (...)."

        That should read 'instrumental of agent'.

        best regards,

        /Rett
      • Harry Liew
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2006
          Hi Rett, friends,

          It seems there are are lot of typo errors in Charles Duroiselles' Pali Grammar. Please bring out a new edition. Or is it too much in the asking?

          Thanks.

          Metta,

          Harry

          rett <rett@...> wrote: >Dear all,

          >Buddhadatta mentions p83 that "(...) in the passive voice the subject
          >stands in the Ablative of Agent (...)."

          That should read 'instrumental of agent'.

          best regards,

          /Rett

          Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
          [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
          [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

        • flrobert2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2006
            Thank you. It now makes sense. In the other sentences the subjects
            where either of feminine gender or in the plural which have similar
            endings in Ablative/Instrumental, so the original statement seemed to
            fit most of the sentences...