What month is this in Pali?

  • bh.santi
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006
      Dear Friends,

      we're making some ordination certificates for the new novices and one
      monk here. I am trying to write the date in Pali, would this be correct?

      27th March 2006 = Hemantotumhi citta-maase terasame divase
      pubba.nhasamaye/ majjhantikasamaye/ saayanhasamaye divasabhaage
      dvesahassa-pañcasaatika-cattaaliisatim-atthe buddhavasse iti.

      (In the winter season, in the month of Phagguna on the thirteenth day
      in the morning/ midday/ evening part of the day, in the
      two-thousand-five-hundred-and-forty-eigth year [since the final
      extinguishment] of the Awakened one.)

      I'm particularly not sure about whether this is Phagguna or Citta
      maasa: does the new month begin on the new moon or on the full moon?

      Thanks, Bhikkhu Santi.
    • Lennart Lopin
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2006
        Dear Bhante,

        Maybe this one can help:
        http://www.nibbanam.com/pali_language_tools.htm#Buddhist%20Calendar%20Library

        regards,

        Lennart

        we're making some ordination certificates for the new novices and one
        monk here. I am trying to write the date in Pali, would this be correct?

        27th March 2006 = Hemantotumhi citta-maase terasame divase
        pubba.nhasamaye/ majjhantikasamaye/ saayanhasamaye divasabhaage
        dvesahassa-pañcasaatika-cattaaliisatim-atthe buddhavasse iti.

        (In the winter season, in the month of Phagguna on the thirteenth day
        in the morning/ midday/ evening part of the day, in the
        two-thousand-five-hundred-and-forty-eigth year [since the final
        extinguishment] of the Awakened one.)

        I'm particularly not sure about whether this is Phagguna or Citta
        maasa: does the new month begin on the new moon or on the full moon?

        Thanks, Bhikkhu Santi.

        Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
        [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
        [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

      • bh.santi
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2006
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Lennart Lopin" <lenni_lop@...> wrote:

          > Dear Bhante,
          >
          > Maybe this one can help:

          http://www.nibbanam.com/pali_language_tools.htm#Buddhist%20Calendar%20Library

          > regards,
          >
          > Lennart

          Thankyou very much Lennart,

          that's a very handy little tool you made. It clearly tells me what
          month it is but I noticed that the way it calculates the Uposatha is
          not the traditional way.

          The difference is this:

          it calculates the maximum and minimum segment of the moon and takes
          the maximum as 'Full moon' and the minimum as 'New moon', which is
          fine, but then it counts the day that the Full moon/ new moon occurs
          by the Western method, i.e. midnight on Friday is 'Friday', whereas in
          the Indian system midnight on 'Friday' is still 'Thursday', the new
          day begins at dawnrise.

          I think this would be relatively easy to fix. You can get a mozilla
          plugin that tells you the time of dawnrise (aru.naggamana - aka civil
          morning twilight), which is called 'Suncult'. Perhaps if you connected
          up the time of dawnrise that Suncult generates to the Uposatha
          calculating thingee you could make it count the day correctly. In the
          meantime I will just press 2 to get the chart of moon segment vs. date
          and work it out.

          Thanks,

          Bhikkhu Santi.
        • Lennart Lopin
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 10, 2006
            Dear Bhante,

            thank you very much for the hint! I was not aware of this sunrise issue, but i will try to set it right if time permits. It needs a little improvement anyhow, but i am glad it served it purpose :-)

            muditâya,

            Lennart