Re: [Pali] Oldenberg/PTS Vinaya edition

  • rett
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006

      >Would anyone know if the several reprintings by PTS of the Oldenberg's
      >edition have been accompanied by reviewings or "updating" of his
      >version to account for later findings of MSS that were not available
      >to him ?

      Hi Jacques and group,

      I have what I believe is the most recent reprinting of the mahaavagga and there's nothing that would indicate that it is anything other than a facsimile reprint of the original 1879 version. Not a definitive answer, I know, but I don't think it's likely that there are updates in it, since then the scholar(s) who worked on it would receive credit and probably write a new introduction. The entry in the PTS list of issues 2004 doesn't mention any revisions either.

      best regards,

      /Rett