Oldenberg/PTS Vinaya edition

  • jhuynen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2006
      Hello everybody,

      Would anyone know if the several reprintings by PTS of the Oldenberg's
      edition have been accompanied by reviewings or "updating" of his
      version to account for later findings of MSS that were not available
      to him ?

      Thanks

      Jacques Huynen
    • rett
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006

        >Would anyone know if the several reprintings by PTS of the Oldenberg's
        >edition have been accompanied by reviewings or "updating" of his
        >version to account for later findings of MSS that were not available
        >to him ?

        Hi Jacques and group,

        I have what I believe is the most recent reprinting of the mahaavagga and there's nothing that would indicate that it is anything other than a facsimile reprint of the original 1879 version. Not a definitive answer, I know, but I don't think it's likely that there are updates in it, since then the scholar(s) who worked on it would receive credit and probably write a new introduction. The entry in the PTS list of issues 2004 doesn't mention any revisions either.

        best regards,

        /Rett