Re: Unicode for Pali and Sanskrit

  • natalie_indeed
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...> wrote:

      > Dear Thomas,
      >
      > > Could anyone in this group tell me what Unicode font for Romanised
      > > Pali and Sanskrit characters is currently used widely in today
      > > computer typing? Indic Time, Gentium, or others?
      >
      > Since there is no common standard, I use the following tag:

      > Thryomanes, sanvijjo, Code2000, Arial Unicode MS, TITUS Cyberbit Basic,
      > Gentium, Tahoma, Lucida Grande">
      >
      > Good luck,
      > Dmytro

      Dear Friends,

      I am actually having a similar problem as a copyeditor of a Buddhist
      Studies journal. I'm looking for a unicode/Mac font that we can use
      for Sanskrit and Pali words in Word documents (NOT the Web). Any
      suggestions?

      Metta,
      Natalie
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
        Dear Natalie and friends,

        a popular Mac Unicode font which includes Pali and Sanskrit
        diacritics is Gentium.

        Popular Windows fonts now also have Unicode versions with inclusion
        of Pali and Sanskrit diacritics (i.e. Roman letters). For example,

        Arial > Arial Unicode MS (distributed with MS Windows(?) and MS
        Office)
        Courier > Courier Extended
        Times New Roman > Times Extended Roman

        Check this site: http://www.thdl.org/tools/diafonts.html

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, natalie_indeed wrote:

        > Thryomanes, sanvijjo, Code2000, Arial Unicode MS, TITUS Cyberbit
        > Basic, Gentium, Tahoma, Lucida Grande">

        I am actually having a similar problem as a copyeditor of a Buddhist
        Studies journal. I'm looking for a unicode/Mac font that we can use
        for Sanskrit and Pali words in Word documents (NOT the Web). Any
        suggestions?
      • lighthisertim
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "natalie_indeed" <natalie_indeed@...> wrote:
          > I'm looking for a unicode/Mac font that we can use for Sanskrit and Pali words in Word
          documents (NOT the Web). Any suggestions?

          Hello,

          South Asian Language Resource Center, The University of Chicago
          http://salrc.uchicago.edu/resources/fonts/

          hth,

          tim lighthiser