Re:Pali Day by Day E056 (Ex16A) aññissa.m/aññesa.m/aññassa.m?

    Message 1 of 219 , Mar 2, 2006
      Dear Florent, Ole and friends,

      Florent, a~n~na is an adjective, so it follows the rule of
      adjectives, i.e. it is declined in case, gender and number of the
      succeeding word.

      In this case, the succeeding word is

      vaapiya.m - locative, feminine, singular: in/on/at the tank.

      Therefore, a~n~nissa.m should also be locative, feminine, singular:
      in/on/at the other.

      Hence, a~n~nissa.m vaapiya.m: in/on/at the other tank.

      Then, the next question is why a~n~nissa.m? I believe it is a typo,
      it should be a~n~nassa.m, unless (as you suggested) a~n~na can also
      be declined like ima. Otherwise, it should be corrected as

      a~n~nassa.m vaapiya.m: in/on/at the other tank

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, flrobert2000 wrote:

      > The reading is ok. vaapii (cf. Sanskrit vaapii) is feminine, and so
      is the loc. aññissa.m of añña: other, different.

      according to Buddhatdatta añña is declined as ya (p49) and the
      closest form I found in his declension table (and also in Pali
      Lookup) was aññesa.m and not aññisa.m. Hence my choice of a gen.
      plural which I rendered by "in the tank belonging to others". By
      looking again at the table I found the form aññassa.m/aññaaya.m for
      this pronoum in the feminine locative singular, but not aññissa.m.
      Always according to Buddhadatta, aññissa.m would be correct if it was
      similarly declined as the demonstrative pronoum ima.
      Message 219 of 219 , Mar 8, 2007
        Dear Florent,

        allow me to suggest the following correction:
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbiisatiyaa vassaana.m upari kaala.m
        akaasi.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, flrobert2000 wrote:

        8. King Edward VII died 26 years ago.
        bhuupati / Edwardnaamo / sattamo / kaalam akaasi /
        chabbiisati / vasse / upari
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbisati vasse upari kaalam akaasi.