Re: Pali Day by Day E055 (Ex15B)

  • flrobert2000
    Message 1 of 219 , Mar 2, 2006
      Dear Rett,

      Thank you for the explanation. It makes much more sense this way. I
      got a bit confused because usually Buddhadatta indicates it this way
      when the pronoun can be omitted:

      My mother-in-law went to the city without (her) retinue and returned
      with a sister.

      With metta,

      Florent

      > >mayha.m / sassu / gantvaa / nagara.m / vinaa / taaya / parisaaya /
      > >paccaagami / saddhi.m / bhaginiyaa
      > >Mayha.m sassu taaya parisaaya vinaa nagara.m gantvaa bhaginiyaa
      > >saddhi.m paccaagami.
      >
      > You are right that /vinaa/ takes instrumental (or ablative) but I
      don't think you need a pronoun there at all. Just /parisaaya/ by
      itself is enough. The word 'her' in the English should be left
      untranslated, and even if you want to include the idea, it can't be
      translated with /tassaa/ if it is referring to the mother in law's
      retinue. You would have to use /attano/ in that case.

      Message 219 of 219 , Mar 8, 2007
        Dear Florent,

        allow me to suggest the following correction:
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbiisatiyaa vassaana.m upari kaala.m
        akaasi.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, flrobert2000 wrote:

        8. King Edward VII died 26 years ago.
        bhuupati / Edwardnaamo / sattamo / kaalam akaasi /
        chabbiisati / vasse / upari
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbisati vasse upari kaalam akaasi.