Re:Pali Day by Day E056 (Ex16A) aññissa.m/aññesa.m/aññassa.m?

  • flrobert2000
    Message 1 of 219 , Mar 2, 2006
      > The reading is ok. vaapii (cf. Sanskrit vaapii) is feminine, and so
      is the
      > loc. aññissa.m of añña: other, different.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Ole Pind

      Dear Ole,
      Thank you for your message. However what I don't understand is that
      according to Buddhatdatta añña is declined as ya (p49) and the closest
      form I found in his declension table (and also in Pali Lookup) was
      aññesa.m and not aññisa.m. Hence my choice of a gen. plural which I
      rendered by "in the tank belonging to others".
      By looking again at the table I found the form aññassa.m/aññaaya.m for
      this pronoum in the feminine locative singular, but not aññissa.m.
      Always according to Buddhadatta, aññissa.m would be correct if it was
      similarly declined as the demonstrative pronoum ima.
      Could you please help me a bit more with this matter?

      I remember actually spending quite a bit of time on that sentence and
      I am not sure which translation is the more accurate now:

      12.Aparo aññissa.m vaapiya.m nahaatvaa pubbaaya disaaya nagara.m paavisi.
      another / [of] others / [in] tank / having bathed / eastern /
      direction / city / entered
      Having bathed in the tank belonging to others, one man entered the
      city in the eastern direction.

      or:

      12.Aparo aññissa.m vaapiya.m nahaatvaa pubbaaya disaaya nagara.m paavisi.
      another / [of] others / [in] tank / having bathed / eastern /
      direction / city / entered
      Having bathed in another tank, one man entered the city in the eastern
      direction.

      Kind regards,

      Florent
      Message 219 of 219 , Mar 8, 2007
        Dear Florent,

        allow me to suggest the following correction:
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbiisatiyaa vassaana.m upari kaala.m
        akaasi.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, flrobert2000 wrote:

        8. King Edward VII died 26 years ago.
        bhuupati / Edwardnaamo / sattamo / kaalam akaasi /
        chabbiisati / vasse / upari
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbisati vasse upari kaalam akaasi.