Unicode for Pali and Sanskrit

  • thomaslaw03
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      Dear Pali friends,

      Could anyone in this group tell me what Unicode font for Romanised
      Pali and Sanskrit characters is currently used widely in today
      computer typing? Indic Time, Gentium, or others?

      Thank you.

      Thomas Law
    • Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
        Dear Thomas,

        > Could anyone in this group tell me what Unicode font for Romanised
        > Pali and Sanskrit characters is currently used widely in today
        > computer typing? Indic Time, Gentium, or others?

        Since there is no common standard, I use the following tag:

        Thryomanes, sanvijjo, Code2000, Arial Unicode MS, TITUS Cyberbit Basic,
        Gentium, Tahoma, Lucida Grande">

        Good luck,
        Dmytro
      • natalie_indeed
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko" <aavuso@...> wrote:

          > Dear Thomas,
          >
          > > Could anyone in this group tell me what Unicode font for Romanised
          > > Pali and Sanskrit characters is currently used widely in today
          > > computer typing? Indic Time, Gentium, or others?
          >
          > Since there is no common standard, I use the following tag:

          > Thryomanes, sanvijjo, Code2000, Arial Unicode MS, TITUS Cyberbit Basic,
          > Gentium, Tahoma, Lucida Grande">
          >
          > Good luck,
          > Dmytro

          Dear Friends,

          I am actually having a similar problem as a copyeditor of a Buddhist
          Studies journal. I'm looking for a unicode/Mac font that we can use
          for Sanskrit and Pali words in Word documents (NOT the Web). Any
          suggestions?

          Metta,
          Natalie
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
            Dear Natalie and friends,

            a popular Mac Unicode font which includes Pali and Sanskrit
            diacritics is Gentium.

            Popular Windows fonts now also have Unicode versions with inclusion
            of Pali and Sanskrit diacritics (i.e. Roman letters). For example,

            Arial > Arial Unicode MS (distributed with MS Windows(?) and MS
            Office)
            Courier > Courier Extended
            Times New Roman > Times Extended Roman

            Check this site: http://www.thdl.org/tools/diafonts.html

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, natalie_indeed wrote:

            > Thryomanes, sanvijjo, Code2000, Arial Unicode MS, TITUS Cyberbit
            > Basic, Gentium, Tahoma, Lucida Grande">

            I am actually having a similar problem as a copyeditor of a Buddhist
            Studies journal. I'm looking for a unicode/Mac font that we can use
            for Sanskrit and Pali words in Word documents (NOT the Web). Any
            suggestions?
          • lighthisertim
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "natalie_indeed" <natalie_indeed@...> wrote:
              > I'm looking for a unicode/Mac font that we can use for Sanskrit and Pali words in Word
              documents (NOT the Web). Any suggestions?

              Hello,

              South Asian Language Resource Center, The University of Chicago
              http://salrc.uchicago.edu/resources/fonts/

              hth,

              tim lighthiser