[Pali] Re: Pali Day by Day E055 (Ex15B)

  • rett
    Message 1 of 219 , Mar 1, 2006
      Dear Florent and group,

      >I wonder if I did not make a mistake in the following sentence and if
      >it should not be tassaa instead of taaya?
      >
      >7.My mother-in-law went to the city without her retinue and returned
      >with a sister.
      >mayha.m / sassu / gantvaa / nagara.m / vinaa / taaya / parisaaya /
      >paccaagami / saddhi.m / bhaginiyaa
      >Mayha.m sassu taaya parisaaya vinaa nagara.m gantvaa bhaginiyaa
      >saddhi.m paccaagami.

      You are right that /vinaa/ takes instrumental (or ablative) but I don't think you need a pronoun there at all. Just /parisaaya/ by itself is enough. The word 'her' in the English should be left untranslated, and even if you want to include the idea, it can't be translated with /tassaa/ if it is referring to the mother in law's retinue. You would have to use /attano/ in that case.

      Compare:

      He raised his (own) son:

      So attano sutam posi.

      NOT: So tassa suta.m posi. This says that he raised someone else's (tassa) son.

      This applies in all genders in the third person.

      Note that: Aha.m mayha.m suta.m posi | is okay. The restriction only applies to the third person.

      best regards,

      /Rett
      Message 219 of 219 , Mar 8, 2007
        Dear Florent,

        allow me to suggest the following correction:
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbiisatiyaa vassaana.m upari kaala.m
        akaasi.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, flrobert2000 wrote:

        8. King Edward VII died 26 years ago.
        bhuupati / Edwardnaamo / sattamo / kaalam akaasi /
        chabbiisati / vasse / upari
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbisati vasse upari kaalam akaasi.