Re: [Pali] list of pali verb forms (-issati)

  • Harry Liew
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2006
      Lennart,

      I am beginning to see your point from the angle of a green hand.

      Thanks.

      Harry

      Lennart Lopin <lenni_lop@...> wrote:
      704 items - I fear this list is not "complete", but it might serve its purpose and can be considered a "first approach". "-ti" being such a misleading suffix i resorted to extract verb forms from the reverse sorted list by concentrating on the future tense (-issati). For my reasoning and the list have a look at:

      http://nibbanam.com/pali_language_tools.htm#reverseList

      It was not possible at this time to re-group the words according to their roots (Ole's question...) - it might be possible, maybe, but needs the proper algorithm to single out all relating verbs...;-)

      mett�ya,

      Lennart

      msg at above link:

      i propose the following listing as a first approach given the difficulty of distinguishing verb forms from all other words. The following list is based on the future tense, which almost all pali verbs will (hopefully) inflect at least through one occurence within the pitakas. As the future tense in "-issati" is quite easy to recover, the following list contains all matching words ending in -issati:

    • Lennart Lopin
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2006
        Hi Harry,

        You are no green hand Harry :-) Its just that i can only operate on the "surface" i.e. string pattern of words found in the list. Unfortunately this language (especially Pali - because of its history as a lingua franca) supports such a high number of alternative inflections, so in order to create grammatically based sub-lists, one really has to spend time thinking about the how to "catch' em all".

        best wishes,

[...]

        Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
        [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
        [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

        Zen buddhism

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 26, 2006
          Dear Lennart, Harry, Ole and friends,

          I know that this list contains only the future tense singulars. Still,
          anything in the range of 704 is far below my estimate of the number of
          Pali verbs. Of course, my estimate is only a very rough guess, so we'll
          see how it goes.