Re: Learning Pali a distraction?

  • sjeff70
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2006
      Thanks, Rett. Does this fine group here have a link or listing of
      some of the best translations available? I am fortunate to have
      funds available to invest.

      What is everyone using to translate their Roman Script? PED means
      Pali-English dictionary, I do not know the CPD acronym. Haven't
      seen Cone's but I will check out.

      Thanks for your help...

      Jeff

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, rett <rett@...> wrote:

      > Dear Jeff,
      >
      > I just saw your message for the first time today.
      >
      > > Are translations that bad?
      >
      > Some are, some aren't. The Bodhi/Nanamoli translations (such as of
      the Majjhimanikaaya) are excellent.

      > >Wouldn't it make more sense to
      > >just look up questionable words in the dictionary? Often authors
      will
      > >give you the Pali or Sanskrit word for you to look up.
      >
      > The dictionaries don't always have the last word on the matter. It
      can be useful to look at how a word is used in many contexts to get
      a better idea of its usage than what you'll find in, for example,
      the PED. The CPD and Cone's dictionary are better, but they've only
      gotten through about a third of the alphabet. Often you'll look a
      word up in the dictionary only to find that the example cited is the
      very spot, in the very text, that you're reading. How do you know
      for sure that the lexicographer understands it better than you do?

      > >Also I've noticed that while learning this language is
      interesting, it
      > >is also distracting. My meditation could be more focused if I
      didn't
      > >have this distraction.
      >
      > This is a tradeoff many people have noticed. It depends entirely
      on your goals and interests.

      > >I will continue studying if I can find a
      > >reason/meaning.
      > >

      > For me I enjoy being able to read the Buddha's dialogues and
      sermons in something close to the original idiom. It's like with all
      languages, there's a flavour to the original that doesn't come
      through in translation. If that sort of thing attracts you, then it
      could be a reason to spend time on study.