In the Buddha's Words

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 20, 2006

      Everything Yong Peng says about this wonderful new book by Bhikkhu
      Bodhi is true. And I also would like to mention one of the great
      strengths of the book which YP didn't bring to your attention, and
      that is that BB's goal with the book was to create an anthology of
      suttas that introduce the Dhamma in a structured way, that provides a
      "framework within which [the suttas] all fit together." BB introduces
      a structural "scheme which unfolds the Buddha's message progressively
      from the simple to the difficult, from the elementary to the
      profound." And quoting further from BB's introduction, "I here
      attempt to provide a comprehensive picture of the Buddha's teaching
      that incorporates a wide variety of suttas into an organic structure.
      This structure, I hope, will bring to light the intentional pattern
      underlying the Buddha's formulation of the Dhamma and thus provide the
      reader with guidelines for understanding Early Buddhism as a whole."

      This is book is still available for only $12.89US from Amazon, from
      whom I have already ordered many copies to distribute to friends in
      Australia. It's a bargain at this price, since I predict this book
      will become a classic which every English-reading Buddhist will want
      to have in their collection.

      With metta,
      John