178Re: [Pali] Re: Mass of Fire Simile, 3rd sentence

    Aug 1, 2001
      Derek,

      Buddhadatta (A Concise Pali-English Dictionary) explains okkamma as an absolutive,
      "having gone aside from". From the context of the word, I think we could better
      render it as "stepping out of (the highway)" (that is, after seeing the mass of
      blaze, the Buddha decided to stop and sit under a tree to use the fire as an object
      lesson.

      P.