15995Re: Geoff Shatz's Conclusion -- Re: Fw: [Pali] All of that is considered Jhana?

  • Dieter Moeller
    Feb 18, 2013
      Dear Venerable Kumara,

      just in preparation of a travel, I am sorry that my response may be short of proper attention to your comment.

      In general I consider the similes (bathman,lake,lotus pond ,man covered with cloth) giving important clues about the 4 Jhana states and suppose you may agree with me .

      As the first approach stated by G.S. is concerned :

      'i) attention training where one absorbs into > a single object and thereby stills all mental
      > factors

      D: is in line with the texts, although not these word are used , isn't it?

      "to the point where, as Ajahn > Brahmavamso explains, "Consciousness is so > focused on the one thing that the faculty of
      > comprehension is suspended . there is no comprehension of what is going on."

      D: perhaps 'no need' of comprehension of what is going on respectively 'no disturbance' ( by the senses media) would fit as well .
      .. compare pls e.g. with the Buddha' s statement that he used the Jhanas to withdraw from the pain due to old age (Maha Pari- Nibbana Sutta) or comments that even loud thunder would not disturb the disciples.
      One-pointedness is a chracteristic of the Jhanas, isn't it?

      with Metta Dieter