15637RE: [Pali] asatthikaa caravan or armed?

  • Rosa Grau
    Nov 29, 2011
      Dear sister Dipa, the reason for not being sure what the word means is
      because of homonymy.

      asatthika is made up of three parts:

      a - privative particle, meaning "not", compare in English un- or in-
      (unable, impossible)
      sattha - meaning either caravan or weapon, knife (could be even something
      else, see PED); this word has evolved from various etymologies and coalesced
      phonetically in Pali, compare English mean (v. signify), mean (n. average),
      mean (a. not generous)
      -ika - meaning that the word is an adjective, just as the English -ic
      (classic, fanatic, automatic)

      Having said that, DOP (A Dictionary of Pali) makes it a derivate of sattha,
      caravan: "asatthika, not travelling with a company or caravan", and gives
      the example you are probably referring to from Vin IV 295,15.

      In any case, just to confirm Buddhist theories, words do not have meaning by
      themselves, but only in dependence of other words, pragmatic considerations
      and so on.

      Hope this helps.
      Rosa

      _____