1550Re: Sutta Translation: Word by Word, Buddhaghosa.

  • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
    Jan 1, 2003
      Dear Nina and friends,

      thanks for the info. For the sutta translation, let's take a step at
      a time. For your comments on Buddhaghosa, I share similar respect for
      him and his works. In fact, one of the main reason I learn pali is to
      be able to read many pali texts (such as Buddhaghosa's) not yet
      available in English, and since I do not know Thai, Sinhala and
      Burmese, it will be best to learn pali.

      > I do not take much to history, I find it more convincing to read
      the texts. Then we can see Buddhaghosa's devotion to preserving the
      integrity of the teachings, his insistance on vipassanaa pa~n~naa,
      understanding the khandhas, dhaatus, ayatanas.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic