14518Re: more about my experiences at Pune

    Mar 1, 2010
      Bhante,

      thank you. Neither was the Buddha a republican. ;-)

      Actually, I am fairly interested in the kind of topics you discussed, not what I would hear in general public talks. Which is why I am interested in private research and study.

      The unique points as I understand are:

      1. the Sangha is (or is supposed to be) a democratic-style assembly.
      2. there are political entities during Buddha's times which were republics, but built upon a deeply-rooted caste system, i.e. having a ruling caste.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, ashinpan wrote:

      So throughout my lecture, I argued that the Buddha was not a democrat as popularly conceived.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic