12631Re: buddha

  • tapkina
    Jun 13, 2008
      Dear Gabriel,
      In Visuddhimagga, VII, 52 (p. 209 PTS) Buddhaghosa wrote
      (Nyaan.amoli's translation):
      "He (Buddha) is enlightened (buddha) with the knowledge that belongs
      to the fruit of liberation, since everything that can be known has
      been discovered (buddha) by him.
      Or alternatively, he discovered (bujjhi) the four truths by himself
      and awakened (bodhesi) others to them, thus and for other such
      reasons he is enlightened (buddha). And in order to explain this
      meaning the whole passage in the Niddesa beginning thus 'He is the
      discoverer (bujjhitar) of the truths, thus he is enlightened
      (buddha). He is the awakener (bodhetar) of the generation, thus he
      is enlightened (buddha)' (Niddesa, I, 457), or the same passage from
      the Patisambhidaa (I, 174), should be quoted in detail".
      And now to Dr. Endo's book, pp. 6-7:
      "Early Buddhist sources persistently depict Gotama Buddha as an
      ideal human being. He was a lover of silence (muni) and led a simple
      life uncharacteristic of any supernormal being. He was respected by
      all who followed him not only because he was the teacher, but also
      because he was a human being par excellence. This sentiment is
      shared by many as can be gathered from such epithets and attributes
      given only to the Buddha as purisuttama, isisattama, sabbasattaanam
      uttama, appat.ipuggala, devamanussa set.t.ha, sadevakassa lokassa
      agga, etc.
      Such was the early concept of a sage and the Buddha was also
      regarded as one of them. This is well brought out in a study of the
      development of the notion of 'buddha' (as a term) by Prof. Nakamura
      who classifies it into six phases, which can be used as a yardstick
      for our present study:
      1) In early Jainism as reflected in the Isibhaasiyaaim., all sages
      irrespective of their faiths were called 'buddhas'. Uddaalaka,
      Yaajnavalkya, Mahaavira, Saariputta, etc., are all Buddhas.
      2) Emphasis is laid on the fact that Saariputta was the only buddha
      (in the eyes of Jains).
      3) In the old gaathaas of the Paaraayan.avagga of the Suttanipaata,
      no mention of the word 'buddha' is found. That is to say, the
      Buddha's disciples at this time did not specially think of
      Saakyamuni as a buddha. Neither they aspire to be called buddhas.
      4)The next phase was the time when those who should be respected in
      general were called buddhas, isi (sages) or braahman.as.
      5) As time went on, however, 'buddha' came to be thought as a
      specially eminent person and was used as an epithet for such a
      person.
      6) Finally, 'buddha' was used for no one but Saakyamuni (or anyone
      equal to him). This tendency persists prominently in the new strata
      of gaathaas of the Suttanipaata and is more decisive in its prose
      parts".

      May all beings be enlightened.
      Tapkina

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Gabriel Jaeger" <lotsawanet@...> wrote:

      > A correction from the last email:
      >

      > >>As for the kind answer of Nina, I would like to ask if there is
      an pali
      > source for the passage posted regarding the meaning of Buddha from
      the
      > [Ngawang Tenphel] >>Paramatthajotikå?
      >
      > What I mean is if is available this passage in pali transliterated
      > somewhere?
      >

      > With many thanks and best wishes,
      >
      > Gabriel

      Of Ong
      > Yong Peng
      > Sent: 09 June 2008 06:55
      > To: Pali@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [Pali] Re: buddha
      >

      > Dear Gabriel, Nina, Tapkina and friends,
      >
      > it would be good if a new topic is started on a new thread,
      instead of
      > replying to a post on an existing discussion thread.
      >
      > As for Gabriel's question, "Buddha" means the "Enlightened One".
      It is
      > one of ten epithets for the Buddha. Other common ones we usually
      > encounter in the suttas are Bhagavant and Tathagata.
      >
      > The word buddha is an adjective meaning enlightened. Not long after
      > his birth, prince Siddhattha was predicted to grow up to be the
      > universal monarch or the enlightened one (buddha).
      >
      > metta,
      > Yong Peng.
      >
      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Pali%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      Gabriel Jaeger