12619Re: buddha

    Jun 8, 2008
      Dear Gabriel, Nina, Tapkina and friends,

      it would be good if a new topic is started on a new thread, instead of
      replying to a post on an existing discussion thread.

      As for Gabriel's question, "Buddha" means the "Enlightened One". It is
      one of ten epithets for the Buddha. Other common ones we usually
      encounter in the suttas are Bhagavant and Tathagata.

      The word buddha is an adjective meaning enlightened. Not long after
      his birth, prince Siddhattha was predicted to grow up to be the
      universal monarch or the enlightened one (buddha).

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel Jaeger wrote:

      Could anyone help me in finding passages in the p�li kanon about the
      etymology and meaning of the term �Buddha�?

      Is there any mention why and how the prince Siddharta after his
      enlightment was called Buddha, and what it was mean by calling him in
      this way?
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic