10643Re: AN 1.6

    Aug 4, 2006
      Dear Biloo and Scott,

      I am very reluctant to understand jhaana from yogana, not matter how
      closely related they are. As I mentioned earlier, the Sanskrit
      equivalent of jhaana is dhyana, a word which can be found in any
      good Sankrit dictionary.

      dhyana [ dhyâ.ana ] n. meditation; religious contemplation: -
      tatpara, a. lost in thought; -dhîra, a. absorbed in thought; -para,
      a. id.; -yoga, m. deep meditation, religious ab sorption; -vat, a.
      devoted to religious medi tation; -sthita, pp. absorbed in thought.

      dhyāna n. meditation, thought, reflection, (esp.) profound and
      abstract religious meditation.

      Ven. Dhammadhiro and Nina had both given good explanations of jhaana
      in earlier mails. The English word 'absorption' is only a word of
      choice for some English translators. I would leave jhaana
      untranslated as 'jhana'.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Scott Duncan wrote:

      "Firstly Jhanna is a cognate of a Sanskrit word yoJana, more at
      concentration that absorption."
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic