10513SV: [Pali] Garudhammas, the "eight heavy duties"

  • John Green
    Jun 1, 2006
      you have posed a question of great importance here Sumana:
      "What kind of strategy can we have to combat sexism in Theravada Buddhism?"

      I think it is important to show two things:

      1. Sexism does not have much support in the canoical texts.
      I can't myself refer to any sources right now but I have as well several
      times realized that many of the rules are post-parinibbana.

      2. Sexism does not have a place to fulfill in modern times.
      Some claim that some of the extra-rules and duties for nuns were impossed by
      Buddha as an understanding
      and compassionate human. Nuns should for instance be more aware of the
      sexual side of life. They can't sleep by themselfes,
      they shouldn't go alone in the dark etc.
      At the time and place of the Buddha women were easy targets. Much easier
      than they are today in many countries. Today
      women do have more rights in many parts of the world.
      With this knowledge I guess modern teachers full of wisdom and insight
      should be able to abolish as many of the different trainings
      as possible. If they do not have the same relevance anymore. And if there
      are training rules that should be imposed on women out of
      neccesity; then let's work toghether as much as possible to able to take
      them away as well.

      This is of course my personal view based on my experinces as a yogi rather
      than as a bhikku.

      I read somewhere, can't remember though, that in the time of Gotama
      meditators were refered to as "Bhikkuni" no matter the gender;
      someone else who can remember such a thing?

      May all of you be well,