NASA veteran a key player in global warming debate

  • sonya koch
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
      NASA veteran a key player in global warming debate
      By Margaret Kriz and Gregg Sangillo, National Journal
      James Hansen, a 37-year NASA veteran who directs the agency's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, is the kind of expert whom presidents turn to for scientific briefings on climate change. Shortly after George W. Bush moved into the White House, for instance, he invited Hansen to talk to top administration officials about the issue.
      On one of those visits, Hansen took part in a polite debate with Massachusetts Institute of Technology scientist Richard Lindzen, who questions the scientific underpinnings of climate change. Hansen is convinced that global warming is real and that the consequences are potentially disastrous.
      "Among well-qualified scientists who have analyzed the data in detail, there is now a reasonable consensus that humans are a primary cause of the warming," he said, while warning that the Earth's "atmospheric composition is changing before our eyes."
      Full story: http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0504/052804nj2.htm

    • Peter K Anderson (aka Hartlod)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
        Yes, Man's removal of ground cover with minimal heat generation capacity,
        and the replacement
        of such covers (high photosynthetic masses like forests) with high heat
        generation covers (like human habitations and other infrustructure) are
        making the increased amounts of heat that is becoming trapped in our
        atmopshere. The problem is that this is being presented as an effect of
        GHG's, but is infact a natural effect of our atmopshere. Heat will be
        trapped regardless of how many ppm of CO2, if heat is made in excess, it
        will be trapped in excess.

        Global warming is happening, debate will not cover the evidence for the
        worlds population.
        GW DOES NOT mean simply that the "globe" will just get hotter.
        The "globe" has methods to disippate heat. It can melt ice, warm water and
        produce stronger movements of air and water.
        AS more heat is added to our atmopshere, more of the poles will melt, the
        ocean will get warmer, air currents will alter, storms will change
        behaviourisms and ocean currents will change configurations as changes in
        driving energy will make different paths used.

        Your's

        At 05:06 PM 1/06/2004, you wrote:

        > NASA veteran a key player in global warming debate
        >By Margaret Kriz and Gregg Sangillo, National Journal
        >James Hansen, a 37-year NASA veteran who directs the agency's Goddard
        >Institute for Space Studies, is the kind of expert whom presidents turn to
        >for scientific briefings on climate change. Shortly after George W. Bush
        >moved into the White House, for instance, he invited Hansen to talk to top
        >administration officials about the issue.
        >On one of those visits, Hansen took part in a polite debate with
        >Massachusetts Institute of Technology scientist Richard Lindzen, who
        >questions the scientific underpinnings of climate change. Hansen is
        >convinced that global warming is real and that the consequences are
        >potentially disastrous.
        >"Among well-qualified scientists who have analyzed the data in detail,
        >there is now a reasonable consensus that humans are a primary cause of the
        >warming," he said, while warning that the Earth's "atmospheric composition
        >is changing before our eyes."
        >Full story: http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0504/052804nj2.htm
      • David Marjanovic
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2004
          > The problem is that this is being presented as an effect of
          > GHG's, but is infact a natural effect of our atmopshere. Heat will be
          > trapped regardless of how many ppm of CO2, if heat is made in excess, it
          > will be trapped in excess.

          Oh no. If heat is made in excess, it will be _radiated into space_ in
          excess, unless it is trapped by GHGs.

          > GW DOES NOT mean simply that the "globe" will just get hotter.
          > The "globe" has methods to disippate heat.

          Yes, and the most important one is radiation as IR.

          > AS more heat is added to our atmopshere, more of the poles will melt, the
          > ocean will get warmer, air currents will alter, storms will change
          > behaviourisms and ocean currents will change configurations as changes in
          > driving energy will make different paths used.

          I agree.