[Fwd: Breaking News: Two Huge Supreme Court Wins]

  • Sonya
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2007
      Two Huge Supreme Court Wins

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Breaking News: Two Huge Supreme Court Wins
      Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 19:39:00 GMT
      From: Environmental Defense <TakeAction@...>
      To: Sonya Chappelear GarrettKoch <msredsonya@...>

      Two Huge Supreme Court Wins
      Environmental Defense: Finding the Ways that WorkSign UpDonate

      ** BREAKING NEWS **
      Supreme Court Victories Bolster Our Campaign to
      Fight Global Warming and Clean America's Air Pollution

      Supreme Court rulings are huge victories for the environment.

      Dear Sonya,

      We have incredible news.

      In a groundbreaking decision, the Supreme Court ruled today that the federal government has the authority under the Clean Air Act to regulate America's global warming pollution.

      This ruling affirms what Environmental Defense has believed for a long time: carbon dioxide is a pollutant and the Environmental Protection Agency should exercise its existing authority to reduce global warming emissions.

      As historic as this ruling is, it does not require the EPA to take action. That is why we need Congress to pass a strong national cap on America's global warming pollution.

      In a separate decision, the Supreme Court also ruled 9-0 against Duke Energy in a case that tested whether power plants are required to install pollution control equipment on aging coal-fired power plants.

      Environmental Defense was a plaintiff in both cases.

      You can read more background on the global warming case and the Duke Energy case.

      The global warming ruling in particular is a significant victory and the latest sign of momentum in our efforts to cap America's global warming pollution.

      • In January, 10 major companies joined Environmental Defense and three other environmental organizations to call for a mandatory national cap on global warming pollution.
      • In February, energy giant TXU agreed to scrap plans to build 8 of 11 proposed coal-fired power plants in a buyout agreement Environmental Defense helped broker.
      • Several weeks ago, Maryland became the 12th state to pass state legislation curbing global warming pollution from vehicles sold in the state, with another 7 states considering similar legislation.

      Everywhere you look, we're seeing historic progress. States are acting, businesses are joining the effort, now the Supreme Court has recognized the risk of global warming. But none of this will mean much unless we pass a strong mandatory national cap on global warming pollution.

      We'll keep you updated with further developments in the days and weeks ahead.

      In the meantime, once again, thank you for all that you do to support our work. These are historic victories for the environment, and you're a big part of the success.

      Thank you,

      Environmental Defense Action Network

      You can update your email address, set your message frequency, and unsubscribe from messages by adjusting your subscription options.

      Sonya mail to: <msredsonya@...>
      PLoS Medicine http://www.plosmedicine.org
      The open-access general medical journal
      from the Public Library of Science
      Share your discoveries with the world.
      ______________________________________
      The information collected and presented has been done so on a best-effort
      basis, cited for research and educational purposes. This constitutes a
      'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107
      of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107,
      the material was posted without profit, or intent to profit, impinge, or
      for gain upon copyright, if applicable; to those who have expressed a
      prior interest in receiving the included information for research and/or
      educational purposes and in regard to fair use
      http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.

      Furthermore, as the
      contents of the material may or may not be from a compilation of
      materials, or from various sources, and/or sites, and as such has not been
      verified by myself, unless I am the author of said material.
      Therefor I cannot be made responsible for the factual accuracy of the
      material presented -nor should it be construed as such-nor would I be
      responsible for any error or omissions in the said content or the
      veracity,  reliability, accuracy, or credibility of the said authors or
      the related Internet sites content.

      The burden of responsibility lies with the reader(s) to evaluate the
      content and relevancy of any said information; and any said
      related Internet sites.

      References in this e-mail to any specifics: i.e. products,
      processes,individuals, or services by trade name,trademark,manufacturer,
      or otherwise,would not and does not constitute or imply endorsement,
      recommendation,bias or favoring.