Gray and Muddy Thinking about Global Warming - dust bowl comments

  • npat1
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 6:43 PM
      Continuing on the dust bowl topic which Dr. William Gray seems to have discounted, I added a few hydrology plots to my yahoo photos website to show how severe and widespread the early-mid 1930s drought was.

      - Hydro at:
      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/patneuman2000/my_photos

      I included plots showing Mississippi River streamflow (1874-2004), Lake Michigan-Huron (1918-2005) and Devils Lake ND (1830-2006).

      Contributing drainage area for the Mississippi River is 85,600 square miles at Clinton, IA and 1,140,500 square miles at Vicksburg, MS.

      I think the Clinton, IA plot is especially interesting, showing that conditions preceding 1940s/1970s cooling was a drying trend, while condition preceding the current is a wetting trend.

      That's the opposite direction, and I figure to be counter to what Dr. Gray the pattern recognizer would expect if cooling would return. No going to happen the way he thinks, by the patterns I see.

      Comment #76 at:
      http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2006/04/gray-on-agw/