Re: [P&C] Re: [CAD] Climate Shock: We're on Thin Ice

  • John Atkeison
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
      At 12:29 AM 1/1/2006, Tim Jones wrote:
      Focus on regime change in America.
      Tim

      There is an unusual congressional campaign here in little Delaware that will probably make a national impact.

      Michael Berg is well-known already due to the tragedy of his son Nick's kidnapping and execution in 2004 in Iraq. His principled anti-war stand is the center of the campaign, and he is well aware of the direct connections between the war, fossil fuels, and climate change.

      We are trying to figure out the best language to use to communicate these things, but so far, so good. And since I am the campaign manager, you can bet your last dollar that Global Warming will not get lost... I'm betting mine!

      One way I have convinced a couple supporters that we cannot leave Global Warming out (aside from the moral issues and the "tell the truth" principle) is to remind them that another Katrina-like event is likely between now and November 7, 2006. If y'all have any thoughts, your contribution would be appreciated.

      This is the most concrete way I can see to affect policy on climate change. It is not the only way, but her and now, it seems essential. All constructive contributions welcome.

      John

      <HTTP:// BergForCongress .us>
      Michael Berg was thrust into the role of prominent spokesperson for the peace movement when his son Nick was abducted and killed on May 7, 2004 in retaliation for the torture of Iraquis in Abu Ghraib prison. When Mr. Berg emerged from his initial mourning, he became famous with one phrase he uttered to the press:
      Nicholas Berg died for the sins of George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld.
      ---
      John Atkeison
      john@...   (302) 345-0607
      http://Atkeison.org/
      2600 N Van Buren Street, Wilmington, DE 19802

      Anyone who has ever struggled with poverty knows how extremely expensive it is to be poor. --James A. Baldwin

    • Pat N self only
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
        John,

        I wouldn't refer to "another Katrina-like event". The 2005 Katrina catastrophe in New Orleans was greatly worsened by the failure of the shabby levee system in place before Katrina hit. I wouldn't make any predictions about hurricanes for 2006 at this time. Also, I would not make numerical predictions about sea level at this time. The text in Thin Ice which you brought up yesterday and I replied last evening included inaccurate terminology which could easily lead to misinterpretation, as we saw.

        I'll need more time to suggest what you might want to focus on in global warming/climate change communications for your meetings.

        Pat

        ---------
[...]

        Please note: message attached
      • John Atkeison
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
          We agree more than not.

          By "Katrina-like" event I meant something that will resonate in the human psyche in a similar way. I considered using "Katrina-scale" but that seemed to run afoul of the logic you expressed.

          Considering the overall god-awful condition of the infrastructure in this country, however, we may see the emergence of a term like "Katrina-like failure" to describe these events. Maybe just, "They went Katrina." Or, "Mama Nature whopped a Katrina on them big houses down the shore," or, "The whole damn mountainside of snow put the Katrina-hurt on the whole ski lodge ... never had a chance," or "Texas had the Dry Katrina -- the place just dried up and burned away!"

          On the other hand, I am reading Kim Stanley Robinsonn's Fity Degrees Below so I may be too deep in literary mode! <ROFL> I do find that exploring the issues in that (literary) way is a valuable experience, especially with someone as knowledgeable as Robinson.

          The least favorable (as in not as easy!) would roll the little effects into the big ball that it really is. Something like, "With the plains burning, the west coast flooding, the Alaskan tundra melting, and seas rising bit-by-bit all around, we'll all have a Katrina experience pretty soon."

          Still thinking
          John

          At 09:17 AM 1/1/2006, Pat N self only wrote:
[...]

          Global warming, let's do something about it. Our heart should be where our home is. < http://www.groundtruthinvestigations.com/>

          Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          To: ClimateArchiveDiscussion@yahoogroups.com,