Hannukah Gifts for Pal-Bell Fans! Two wonderful books.

  • Eric Ascalon
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2008
      With Hannukah approaching, I thought I would mention two wonderful
      books on Judaica metalwork that are presently being offered by their
      respective sellers at substantial discounts.

      "Lighting the Way to Freedom" by Aaron Ha'Tell & Yaniv Ben Or
      (Pitspopany Press) and

      "Five Centuries of Hanukkah Lamps from The Jewish Museum: A Catalogue
      Raisonne" by Susan Braunstein (Yale University Press)

      Here's the scoop:

      1) "Lighting the Way to Freedom" by Aaron Ha'Tell & Yaniv Ben Or
      is being offered by Amazon.com at $23.40, discounted from the $30
      list price. Hard cover, 267 pages.
      From kitsch to true works of art, this book documents all of it with
      vivid photographs and meaningful explanations. This is one of the
      finest resources out there on early Israeli metalwork and Judaica.
      Not only are the works of the more familiar makers included, such as
      Oppenheim and Maurice Ascalon's Pal-Bell, but the creations of dozens
      of lesser-known and obscure makers are included as well, which adds
      to the books utility. Collectors and enthusiasts have been waiting
      for this for a long time.

      Link: http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Way-Freedom-Treasured-
      Hanukkah/dp/1932687661

      2) "Five Centuries of Hanukkah Lamps from The Jewish Museum: A
      Catalogue Raisonne", by Susan Braunstein (Yale University Press)

      The observance of Hanukkah as a time of freedom and miracles
      resonates strongly with Jews today as in centuries past, and the
      Hanukkah lamp is central to the celebratory ritual. The importance of
      the Hanukkah lamp is reflected in the collection of The Jewish Museum
      in New York: its 1,022 lamps represent the largest assemblage of
      Hanukkah lamps in the world. This publication presents the Museum's
      unparalleled collection in its entirety. Remarkably expressive and
      varied, these lamps are a revelation for anyone interested in Jewish
      culture, history, and the beauty and diversity of these beloved
      traditional objects. Boxed hardcover, 424 pages. 13" x 9 1/2" x 2".
      SPECIAL VALUE! Original Price $125.00, Now offered at 60% off for
      $49.99.
      Link: http://shop.thejewishmuseum.org/jmuseum/dept.asp?
      s_id=0&dept_name=Jewish+Museum+Books&dept_id=3182
    • Boris Gorbis
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2008
        Thank you, Eric. Just ordered both - as we say the best gift is a good advice. For everything else there is an 18% Master Card.
        Happy Hannukah. Boris Gorbis