Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Concerning Pal-Bell No.462 "Chanukiya" (olive branch oil burning menorah)

Expand Messages
  • Eric Ascalon
    From Luminous Art: Hanukkah Menorahs of The Jewish Museum By Susan L. Braunstein, Yale University Press (New Haven and London) 2004 at p. 175: MAURICE
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      From "Luminous Art: Hanukkah Menorahs of The Jewish Museum" By Susan
      L. Braunstein, Yale University Press (New Haven and London) 2004 at
      p. 175:

      (b. Hungary 1913, d. United States 2003)
      Pal-Bell Co., Tel Aviv, 1950
      Copper alloy: cast and patinated;
      7 5/8 x 8 3/8 x 4 5/17 in.
      (19.4 x 21.3 x 11 cm)
      The Jewish Museum, JM 6-54

      Fashioned two years after the creation of the State of Israel, this
      lamp harks back to ancient models in its form and surface
      decoration. The shape of the oil containers simulates that of Roman
      lamps, while the green patina suggests the coloration found on
      ancient bronzes. This type of patination was a favorite form of
      surface decoration in the land of Israel from the days of the early
      Bezalel School, and was chosen to link the art of the new settlers to
      that of their ancient ancestors (Shilo-Cohen 1983a, p. 281). The
      pitcher in the center is a reference to the miracle of the sanctified
      oil during the ancient dedication of the Jerusalem Temple.

      The maker, Maurice Ascalon, trained in Brussels and Milan before
      immigrating to Palestine in 1934. Among his works is a large copper
      sculpture, The Toiler of the Soil, the Laborer, and the Scholar,
      which decorated the facade of the Palestine Pavilion of the 1939
      World's Fair and is now in the collection of the Spertus Museum,
      Chicago. Ascalon started Pal-Bell Company in the late 1930s for the
      production of ritual and secular decorative arts objects. This lamp
      won first prize at the 1950 Tel Aviv Design Competition.

      Ascalon immigrated to the United States in 1956, where he taught
      sculpture at the University of Judaism in Los Angeles, and founded
      Ascalon Studios. His son and grandson now run the studio and
      continue to produce large-scale sculpture for public spaces and
      houses of worship.

      MAKER'S MARKS: "PAL-BELL CO. LTD." with interlace design in rounded
      1954. BIBLIOGRAPHY: Braunstein and Weissman Joselit, no. 46, fig.
      68. SIMILAR LAMPS: Palestine Galleries, p. 3; Natalie Halpern Eichen
      Collection (Plous, no. 39). OTHER WORKS BY ASCALON: Smithsonian
      American Art Museum Art Inventories Catalogue,
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.