(Hadith) Eat together

  • Muhammad Y. Khan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2007

      Wahshi bin Hard (r.a.) reported : Some of the Companions of The Prophet (saws) said: “We eat but are not satisfied.”

      He (Prophet (saws)) said, “ Perhaps you eat separately,” The Companions replied in affirmative.

      He (Prophet (saws)) “Eat together and mention the Name of Allah over your food. It will be blessed for you.”

      Hadith from Riyah-us-Saliheen Book 1 Chapter 106 : What should a person or do when he eats but is not satisfied. Hadith number 743 Abu Dawud.

      If one trusts, obeys, and follows the guidance and commands of Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him),   one can be assured of never ever being misled;   but if one believes, obeys and follows any other guidance, other than that of Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him), one can be assured of being led astray

      To keep receiving daily Hadith by email kindly click on the subscribe link to join the mailing list

      Subscribe me      Unsubscribe    Download Hadith software   Ask a Question   Answers from archives

      Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,

      As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.  (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)

      One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:

      assalam-u- alaikum!

      i just want to know if it is not allowed to drink water from glass with u`r left hand???or use a spoon with u`r left hand to eat.

      my husband makes it sound like drinking anything using u`r left hand is "haram". for all i know ...using right hand is sunnath & not "fard".PLEASE CLARIFY!!!

      (There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)

      Answer:

      Use right hand to drink and eat

      In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is no one (no idol,  no person,  no grave, no prophet,  no imam,  no dai,  nobody!) worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad(saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.

      Al-Muwatta Hadith   49.6

      Yahya related Abdullah ibn Umar that the Messenger of Allah (saws) said, "When you eat, eat with your right hand and drink with your right hand.  Shaytaan eats with his left hand,  and drinks with his left hand."

      Sahih Muslim Hadith 5008     Narrated by Abdullah ibn Umar

      Allah's Messenger (saws) said:  “When any one of you intends to eat (meal), he should eat with his right hand, and when he (intends) to drink he should drink with his right hand,  for the Satan eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand.”

      Hafsah reported, "The Messenger of Allah (saws) reserved his right hand for eating, drinking, putting on his clothes, taking and giving.   He used his left hand for other actions."

      (Related by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, Ibn Hibban, al-Hakim and al-Baihaqi).

      Sahih Muslim Hadith 5007     Narrated by Jabir ibn Abdullah

      Allah's Messenger (saws) said: “Do not eat with your left hand, for the Satan eats with his left hand.”

      It is not only the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (saws) to eat and drink with the right hand,  but also his (saws) explicit command unto the believers that they should not eat with the left hand;   and it is ‘fard’ or obligatory on the believers,  who sincerely fear Allah and the Last Day,  to obey each and every command of the Messenger of Allah (saws).

      Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter  4 Surah Nisa verse 79-80:We have sent you (O Mohamed) as a Messenger to mankind, and Allah’s witness suffices for this.   Whoever obeys the Messenger, in fact obeys Allah, and whoever turns away from him, he will be accountable for his deeds.  Anyhow, we have not sent you (O Mohamed) to be a guardian over them.

      Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 3 Surah Ale Imran verse 31-32:O Prophet,  tell the people, “If you sincerely love Allah,  follow me.   Then Allah will love you and forgive you your sins,  for He is All Forgiving,  All Merciful.”  Also say to them, “Obey Allah and His Messenger.”  And if,  in spite of this,  they do not accept your invitation,  warn them that Allah does not love those,  who refuse to obey Him and His Messenger.

      Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah’s Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me.  Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

      Your Brother in Islam,

      Burhan

      To keep receiving daily Hadith by email kindly click on the subscribe link to join the mailing list

      Subscribe me      Unsubscribe    Download Hadith software   Ask a Question   Answers from archives

      Download all questions and answers from the website

      Disclaimer: The information in this email and in any files transmitted with it,
      is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
      Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you receive this in error,
      please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.
      If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
      any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is strictly prohibited.
      Statement and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender, and do not
      necessarily reflect those of Alsarh.