Recent coffeehouse submissions

  • Sara G
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2008
      This past Saturday, I participated in a local coffeehouse event. The
      poet who read after me said I was a tough act to follow, and I got
      enthusiastic applause for "Freedom", as well as the thanks of 4
      veterans who heard it. I also got offers to appear by invitation at
      other coffeehouse events, and the editor of my college's literary
      magazine really wants to publish some of my work.

      Freedom

      We've all heard the words
      "Freedom isn't free;
      It's paid for in the coin of blood",
      But what is freedom
      When it's just you and me

      It isn't flag-waving once or twice a year
      With cookouts and parades with a song or three,
      Or even fireworks from DC on TV.
      It isn't a yellow ribbon on an SUV
      Saying "Support Our Troops".
      Nor is it war for oil on foreign soil.