Seeking illustrator for children's poetry picture book

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2006
      Hi all

      I am seeking an illustrator who would be willing to work with me on my
      university project. I cannot offer payment but I can promise to try to
      find a publisher for the work when completed, as all copyright etc
      remains with the author/illustrator.

      I have decided to write a children's poem which will be in the form of a
      picture book aimed at the under-fives.

      I have a basic storyline which I won't reveal here but suffice to say it
      affords the opportunity to paint or draw lots of monsters, weird
      characters and strange worlds. It is a dark, gothic, scary tale - but
      not TOO scary. In my mind's eye at present I am seeing Aubrey
      Beardsley-like pen-and-ink creations, but I am open to all possibilities.

      The work has to be submitted as a completed piece at the end of
      September 2006, so an illustrator would need to be able to turn work
      round quickly between now and then. I envisage one image for every one
      or two stanzas and so would expect there to be a need for as many as
      twenty images, each having the potential to stretch across two pages.
      Ideally, I am seeking an illustrator based in the UK because of the
      timescale in which the work needs to be turned around.

      Previous experience of illustrating children's books is not required but
      a keen eye for what kids would appreciate most definitely is, along with
      the ability to draw, paint, etc convincingly and attractively! I am
      currently seeking the input - time and commitments allowing - of my
      tutor Carol Ann Duffy, who is not only the most highly-regarded poet
      alive today in the UK but who also has a number of children's poetry
      picture books to her credit.

      If you're interested, please get in touch with me via the contact form
      on my blog (address below). If you know someone who might be, then
      please pass this message on. Thank you! This will be a demanding but fun
      project and you never know, it might find a publisher and reach children
      across the world!

      Thanks
      Andy

      --