"On Midsummer's Eve"

  • bethclare (mystic amazon)
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2006
      ON MIDSUMMER'S EVE

      I saw the azure sky reflected from your eyes,
      And I caught my breath...
      Nothing had prepared me for the impact
      That you had on me.

      I came up to you to speak
      Because I was curious about you,
      I knew you were from the Otherworld
      And one of the faerie folk.

      But your eyes were kind and drew me in;
      I kept coming toward you,
      And then I was in your arms.
      Your words were sweet, and your lips...

      Oh, God! Your lips were sweeter.
      I lay with you on the hillside
      Beneath that azure sky, with flowers
      Blooming all around us with sweet scent.

      I could not think about tomorrow,
      About my family,
      About what might happen next;
      You encircled me with your strong arms

      And the sky darkened to evening.
      Do not go back, love! Or if you do go
      Take me with you, for now
      I am no longer part of the human world,

      I have done what is forbidden,
      Lain with a faerie on Midsummer's Eve.
      If you send me back, I will fade away
      And not live long in the world of men.

      If go you must, this I will tell you;
      Nine months hence on this hillside,
      I will charge my sister to bring our babe
      Here secretly, for you to raise.

      When I pass from the mortal world
      I will meet you at the gates
      Of the Otherworld;