Re: [Pagan Poets Society] Interesting thought to ponder.....

  • wildwestie@charter.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005
      Hey,Tim,

      I think there is certainly some connection between what goes on in the brain
      and what goes on in the mind / heart. I am of a Celtic path where I believe
      in Three Levels of existence -- the physical, the mental-emotional, and the
      spiritual. The mental - emotional level is sometimes referred to as Wraith
      power or the Fetch. Freud called it the Anima/ Animus level. That's the
      part of a person that is stirred by metaphor, poetry, symbolism, etc. It
      doesn't respond to concrete logic in the same way the physical brain and
      logic centers do. But what you are bringing up about people who have Manic
      depression or other mental / emotional disorders suggests something to me...
      . that perhaps the Fetch in those individuals is just stronger... like it's
      taking over and making up the slack for the area of the brain that isn't
      functioning well. That makes sense actually.
      Another thought I would like to throw out is that in Shamanism part of the
      initiatory experience of it is a personal encounter, a near death experience
      perhaps, although it can be emotional rather than physical. This practice
      is well defined by several authors whom you've probably heard of, but I'll
      mention them anyway for the sake of folks who haven't had much to do with
      Shamanism. Michael Harner, Sandra Ingermann, Mircea Eliade, and Tom Cowan,
      who wrote a book entitled Fire in the Head. The idea of Fire in the Head is
      much the same as the idea you mentioned in your post about "divine madness".
      Another thought that popped in my head was the "poetic fire" written about
      by Robert Burns (Scottish) in so many of his poems. Whether it is "madness
      or not is much dependent upon your definition of madness, I suppose. But I
      definitely think it is divine!

      Blessed Be,
      Lady of the Harvest
      Dean of Education, TPOC
      The Pagan Online Campus - http://www.thepagancampus.net
      Instructor of Astrology and Celtic Spirituality