Congrats bill, Poem, Poetry Contest

  • Cynthia
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2005
      Congratulations Bill!

      I've been enoying reading all of the poetry people have been posting. I'm going to post one of my own poems and then post (again) the notice about The Oestara Anthology of Pagan Poetry Contest. Please do enter the contest folks!
      Here's my poem:

      The Maid Answers John Donne

      Go and catch a falling star,

      Get with child by mandrake root,

      Past years in thy memory are,

      And Pan, piping, taps cleft foot;

      By His tune hear the mermaid's singing,

      And to keep off envy's stinging,

      Ever mind

      That to find

      Joy in other's joy is returned in kind.

      If thou beist born of strange sights,

      Things invisible to see,

      Wish a wish on Soltice night.

      Then when thou a reindeer sees

      While snow hushes all in sight,

      All strange wonders shall thrice bless thee,

      And you may,

      And you might,

      Have the wish you wish

      By magick Soltice day,

      And hallowed Soltice night.

      As for women true and fair,

      To find love, love, and be content;

      Do not dilly-dally here and there;

      Unless thou givest a commitment,

      Though thou wert sweet when she met thee

      And last till she came for thee,

      She will take

      For a rake

      Thee who is only on the make.

      ***

      The Oestara Anthology of Pagan Poetry

      To celebrate its inaugrial year, Oestara Publishing LLC is holding The Oestara Anthology of Pagan Poetry Contest to create an anthology of approximately 200 Pagan poems in honor of Pagan spirituality. Contributors included in the anthology will be paid one paperback and one e-book of The Oestara Anthology of Pagan Poetry.

      A first place $100 USD prize, second place $50 prize, and third place $25 prize winner will be chosen for: 1)sonnet; 2)villanelle, rondeau or other traditional forms; 3) linked haiku; 4)free verse; 5) and dreamed/trance received verse. Criteria for judging will be skill in execution of the poetic form (35%), eloquence of Pagan expression (35%) correctness of grammar, spelling, and mechanics (30%). Contest registration is $5.00(USD) for one to five poems, electronic submissions only. The submission deadline is Oestara (March 21st) 2005. Winners will be announced Midsummer (June 21st) 2005.

      Visit www.oestarapublishing.com/news.html

      for more information. .

      << thought i would let you know that ole William the pagan poet
      << graduated from the university of Arkansas on 12/15/2004
      << bill