a poem

  • silverskydragon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2003
      Before I post the following poem I would like to share a few details
      so everyone understands the reason I am writing it. This poem is
      writen in memory of four people who's death's were all within a year.
      I take care of my grandmother. This day two years ago saw the death
      of her only brother. We all knew it was coming and tried to prepare
      ourselves the best we could. Nine days ago on the twenty first was
      the two year anniversary of the death of my grandmother's brother's
      wife. It was like they could not live without each other. Her death
      was a terrible shock. She was fine one day and in the hospital the
      next. She died so suddenly and unexpectedly my whole family was badly
      traumatised. Earlier this month on the second was the one year
      anniversary of the death of my grandmother's only sister. Her last
      words came as she wrapped her arms around her nephew (grandma's son)
      and whispered "Help me" in his ear. Within two days she was gone.
      Finally the last terrible event has yet to see an anniversary but it
      is only three days away on August second. This is the day that marks
      one years since the death of my grandfather, Grandma's husband of
      fifty five years. He passed just a week before his eighty second
      birthday. His death was even more of a shock than Grandma's sister-in-
      law. From the day he was diagnosed with cancer to the day of his
      death was one month. I will never get the images of him on his death
      bed out of my head. I see them everytime I close my eyes. This poem
      is in memory of them.

      IN LOVING MEMORY OF W. AND L. HARVILL, M. HARVILL, AND L.YOUMANS,
      GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN...
      ~No matter how hard I try
      ~I can't seem to say good-bye.
      ~When I attempt it I only cry,
      ~and let out a heavy sigh.
      ~A locket holds a picture of you.
      ~Wish I had one of the other's too.
      ~My heart says it can't be true.
      ~I feel like I'm going to unglue.
      ~I'll see you all again oneday.
      ~With your memory I'll be okay,
      ~and maybe I'll be able to say
      ~good-bye, I try to find a way.
      ~For now I can't let y'all go
      ~and only tears can I show.
      ~Your love is with me I know.
      ~In my heart I feel its glow.
      ~As you watch from the clouds above,
      ~rest assured you all have my love.
      ~I'll send it on the wings of a dove
      ~so it embraces your hearts like a glove.
      ~by Jodi