Re: ~*~Shocking Sacramento "Independence Day" True Story* Share Widely!!!~*

  • Kat
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2003
      I spent many years in California as a Psychiatric Nurse in both the
      private and governmental sectors. I worked primarily with the
      criminally insane (judicially committed), but I also interned at the
      county level and spent time doing assessments and evaluations pre-
      hospitalization as well in the acute ward (which is where they bring
      you when you present a danger to yourself or others for evaluation).
      My point in all of this is, in 1966 they passed a law, the Lanterman,
      Petris, Short Act, which was designed to protect people from unlawful
      and indefinate hospital stays without due recourse or justification.
      Prior to that law people could be incarcerated as 'mentally ill' with
      little supporting evidence that they presented a true danger to
      themselves or others or that they could not provide for their basic
      needs. What I know first hand from being called out to do site
      evaluations, one on a woman who was using a hammer to exorcize demons
      from her walls in an assisted living community, was that she did not
      at that time present a real and true danger to herself or others, was
      able to provide for her basic needs and though I wouldn't want her
      for my neighbor, banging on the walls, it did not warrant her being
      locked up. The other issue is when you are brought in by a law
      enforcement officer as many at that time (and this was supposed to be
      rectified by bringing along trained persons in possible psych cases)
      did not want to deal with MI (mentally Ill) patients, or deal with
      them severly or caused them to act out by virtue of their (client)
      paranoia and the uniform of the officer.
      Anyone in the: law inforcement field, paramedics, doctors (of
      Course), nursing, psychiatrists, psychologists, etc. can have someone
      brought in for a 72 hour hold (observation). If during that period of
      time (and it should have been assessed when first speaking to the
      doctor)the person is clear and lucid and not responding to voices or
      any other stimuli, they are released. Go to the the link (you will
      have to type it in) below for more information.
      I personally suggest that you contact a civil rights attorney and sue
      the county first and then the state for infringement of your right to
      peaceful assembly to have you personal rights *restored(I would like
      to point out that the Patriot Act (post 911) does give greater power
      to local law authorities to hold people for acts of terrorism) So
      when peacefully assembling make sure that you do not do anything that
      can be construed as interferring with public transportation or an act
      of violence.* just a note they can only take those rights if you were
      deemed mentally ill.