Re: Fell Off The Planet

  • Patrick Callahan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2013
      Hi Kate...sorry life has taken such an arduous turn for you and yours.  We're thinking very similar thoughts about moving out of state (CA) since once my wife retires in 2 years or so, it'll just be too close to the bone trying to make it on a fixed income in this state.  And we're looking at the same issues...how do we afford the move, where do we go, how will we have enough for a down-payment (rental or otherwise) etc. etc.   We also went through a rough patch about a year ago and had to work through our "stores" to make ends meet.  I hated doing it but it made sense and allowed us space to restock with items not so close to their expiration date.  Sometimes it seems like a never ending process...you just get to where you think you're ready for the "big one" and things start expiring or you need to use your stores to keep bodies and souls together.

      Hope things turn around for you soon...

      Patrick

    • Kate
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2013
        Hi Patrick,

        In terms of being ready for "the big one", I hear earthquake prep resonating in that idea. Is that your thought process?

        I just prep, the best I can, for whatever is going to come and scare the stuffing right out of me. Which, for me and mine the past several years, has been financial in nature. So my focus has long been to try to learn to make it myself, do without, or find it cheaper/in bulk/at the dollar store, etc.

        On one of my FB pages, I saw a recipe for making ones own dishwasher soap cubes. I'll have to look at all the ingredients and figure out if it's cheaper than the name brand thingies at the market. (I say brand name because the off brand ones don't work.) But part of me says, "just buy soap", because if things *really* go south, I doubt that I will be running the dishwasher with great regularity.

        We want to go back to the Pacific North Wet, Oregon or Washington. While somewhat cheaper than our current area, it's not the cheapest place ever, but it's an area we are pretty familiar with, which helps a bit. We're talking about maybe, if we can manage get out of our current housing situation with our teeth, that we'd look into buying a duplex, live in one side and rent out the other. It's one theory, anyhow.
      • Patrick Callahan
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
          Hey Kate...
              Like you, we're also prepping for any "big one", although where we currently live an earthquake will probably be the culprit unless a financial catastrophe hits first.  We would actually stay where we live now if it weren't for the really high taxes and cost of living in general.  As you may have guessed we're in CA, (central coast in our case) and the San Andreas runs just north/south just across the valley from us (about 15 miles as the crow flies due east).  There's a small fault that runs north/south right across the road along the Salinas river right out our front door (maybe 300 yds away) but it hasn't done anything in recent history (last 100 years).  The weather is awesome, no snow except in the higher elevations (usually above 3000 ft) and the temp is fairly moderate.  We do get hard freezes now and again but they're rare and we haven't seen 100 degrees in I don't know when...mostly stays between 70-90 for 8 months out of the year.  Guess that's why this area is known as the Salad Bowl of the World and is the "new" wine country in CA, although they've grown wine grapes here since the 50's.  Anyway, we love it but it's just not tenable if prices/taxes keep going up and water is soon going to become a MAJOR issue for everyone in this state.  Like I mentioned before, my wife will gain 18% on her retirement income just by leaving this state...that's what the tax rate on it is right now.  So we're looking...a friend mentioned the Kanab, Utah area and it really is beautiful there, but I think the neighbors might be a bit nervous with pagans moving in and the last thing we want to deal with are "witch burnings" either figuratively or, gods forbid, literally.  We're also in our mid-later 50's and healthcare availability etc. are looming issues for us so we're looking to be near a major city (preferably a University/College town) but a major medical center is important to us.  Alamosa, CO is one area we're looking at as well as Wyoming and Montana...although all three of those states have major earthquake potential too.  I guess it will all come down to choosing which "demon" we'd feel most comfortable having to live with...and if nothing else, we know earthquakes well.

          Peace on you Path,  Patrick