Re: Vet organizations want to force Christian ceremony

  • charlesparnold
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2011
      Here's what I wrote to Culberson just now, I ask that everyone here do the same, both to him and the two other politicians who support this attack on us.

      "Congressman Culberson, I'm a Vietnam veteran and a life member of the VFW, and I'm Wiccan. In fact, I am the National Coordinator of the Pagan Veterans Headstone Campaign and founder and Past National Commander of Pagan Veterans of the United States of America.

      I think that you can probably guess why I'm writing you already; you support for the mandatory inclusion of Christian prayers at the funeral of ALL veterans, Christians or not.

      Needless to say, I oppose your position and will do so in any and every way that I can and I will call on all members of both organizations to do the same; including our members in Texas.

      We beat the VA and forced them to allow Pentacle headstones for Pagan veterans. It tool eleven years but we held firm. If anything, our campaign against your forced imposition of an alien religion will face the same fortitude and zeal.

      Charles P. Arnold"

    • charlesparnold
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 15, 2011
        Here's a reply to a letter I sent today. Please read carefully and if you are a member of the VFW, you might want to rethink your membership:

        This case has nothing to do with forcing Christian values on anyone and it is not a case of District 4 spearheading the charge. The National VFW and the Liberty Institute are pushing the issue. The VA cemetery just happens to be in District 4 and the case does not force anyone to do anything. It allows a family to ask for specific prayers, which include the word "God" and Veteran Service Organizations Color Guards and Honor Teams to say those prayers which, prior to this action, was not allowed by this particular cemetery director. So, if the family asks for Christian prayers, then this suit will allow those teams to do Christian prayers. The same policy was not enforced at other VA facilities.

        Roy J. Grona
        State Adjutant/Quartermaster
        Department of Texas VFW
        8503 N I35