Re: A letter I sent to VFW National HQs this morning

  • charlesparnold
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2011
      --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Blackwell" <myrddin@...> wrote:

      > Charles,
      >
      > Not too surprised, though I am still upset with them
      > for how they treated Vietnam Veterans as well, even
      > though most of the organizations have a lot of Vietnam
      > Vets now. However much late I joined a group forming a
      > Vietnam Vets of America, over fifteen years ago.

      I, too, am a Vietnam veteran but have had little to do with VVA since the very early 80s when I was assistant regional organizer for the Southeastern US. I left when it came to the point where the large majority of VVA membership had not served in Vietnam and had very little in common with those who did serve in Vietnam.

      > I was rather amazed how much time was use agonizing
      > what the officers of the group would be called, or whether
      > we should have a chaplain or even about saluting the flag, or
      > whether we should get dress uniforms for a marching group.
      > Sounded a lot like we were trying to recreate the American
      > Legion. Meanwhile we were not even beginning to deal with
      > the problems of Vietnam Veterans which was supposedly the
      > reason for forming a separate group.

      Yep, I remember.

      > As the number of veterans continue to decline so goes our political power.

      Actually, the number of veterans, especially combat and combat area is increasing.