Re: When the battle starts again, will you support it?

  • charlesparnold
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 17, 2010
      --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Blackwell" <myrddin@...> wrote:

      > Charles,
      > Gee I do hope that you are right. But as I deal with the VA many times a year, i tend to be skeptical abut any improvement in the VA
      handling anything.

      > I am heading in for my fifth eye operation on my right eye this week and then next week another long distance trip in the opposite direction to fight for better benefits. Ironically everything I am claiming is in my VA medical records but they want to send me to see new doctors that never met me to see if my reasons are real. Meanwhile sight in my left eye is fading.
      >
      > I am getting too old for these five hundred mile, two or three day round trips by bus. Then there is geting my walker loaded and unloaded.
      >
      > Blessed Be,
      > Christopher

      Trust me, Chris, I do understand. I am still, 16 years later, still trying to get the VA to recognize my disability claim. So far, as far as they are concerned, I am in perfect health and they still deny my skin condition is a result of Agent Orange, that I do not have PTSD, that the cyst still wrapped around my tailbone doesn't exist, etc.

      All that being said I will stick to my position that if the VA puts up any fight against Druid or Heathen insignias, at least while we still have this President in office, they will be a pushover. After all, Barack Obama does NOT want his administration seen as being prejudiced against and group, especially a group that is a religious minority, a group that is made up of veterans - some of which HE ordered to Iraq and Afghanistan.

      As of 2013, if a new President is elected, the situation may shift but I still think we can create such a PR firestorm that no administration can stand against us. And yes, I am still willing to go to DC and get my butt arrested if necessary to get the publicity that the issue may require - and so too are a few others here.

      Bright and Blessed Yule to All
      Charles

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 18, 2010
        Charles,

        Just got back from my operation.

        Back from surgery. It seems to have gone
        fairly well as far as the operation. A far as
        getting around, I can see better. However
        I will have to await further healing to discover
        if I am going to be able to read with this
        right eye. Things remain rather distorted
        and that may or may stay that way as things
        have been distorted several operations back.

        I see to read much the same with my left eye
        but it gets a little confusing looking at my
        keyboard portion my computer as both eyes
        don't see the same direction or the same way.
        So far it has not bothered me on book reading.
        Now I am just learning about how it affects my
        monitor reading. If worse comes to worse though,
        I can just close my right eye.

        Meanwhile next week I start out again just time
        trying to convince some new doctors how more
        benefits I am going to need as I can see less than
        I did a couple of years ago.

        As to getting your butt busted again. Have you
        developed any reliable people in the media to
        report on what you do. You have to be your own
        PR man, and that includes all the information in
        convenient sound bites if need be. But certainly
        press releases easy enough for the dumbest media
        person.

        Very few media people seem to know how, or to bother,
        to research on the story they are writing. So if the
        press release is short and sweet, it just might get
        published as it or repeated as it. You probably know
        all that stuff, as we Pagans have to be just as good at
        handling the media as everyone else is.

        I noticed a few years back the Cherry Hill Seminary
        already sponsored a class in it taught by an old Pagan
        media person.

        But if the media ignores you, no one hear a about what
        you and I as Pagans do, even less likely that the national
        media picks it up. It is one skill that I know is weak in the
        Wiccan community in general through we do have a few
        that are good at making use of the media.

        Every group that hopes to make use of the media needs
        at least one person who is skilled at it and that all media
        is directed to for any questions. This includes giving the
        media a very "guided tour" of what is happening and who
        is doing what.

        Meanwhile if you are going to do something, let me know
        so I can interview you about it. We can at least get it around
        some of the Pagan community here, in Canada, Europe, even
        Russia. Some of those groups might be able to pass it around.
        Networking is part of what i dod, within what readers that I have.