Re: When the battle starts again, will you support it?

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 14, 2010
      Charles,

      Gee I do hope that you are right. But as I deal
      with the VA many times a year, i tend to be
      skeptical abut any improvement in the VA
      handling anything.

      I am heading in for my fifth eye operation on
      my right eye this week and then next week
      another long distance trip in the opposite direction
      to fight for better benefits. Ironically everything I
      am claiming is in my VA medical records but they
      want to send me to see new doctors that never
      met me to see if my reasons are real. Meanwhile
      sight in my left eye is fading.

      I am getting too old for these five hundred mile,
      two or three day round trips by bus. Then there is
      geting my walker loaded and unloaded.

      --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "charlesparnold" <charlesparnold@...> wrote:

      > I'm hoping we don't have to go through that again. I really do think that adequate publicity of the issue would do the job.

    • charlesparnold
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 17, 2010
        --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Blackwell" <myrddin@...> wrote:

        > Charles,
        > Gee I do hope that you are right. But as I deal with the VA many times a year, i tend to be skeptical abut any improvement in the VA
        handling anything.

        > I am heading in for my fifth eye operation on my right eye this week and then next week another long distance trip in the opposite direction to fight for better benefits. Ironically everything I am claiming is in my VA medical records but they want to send me to see new doctors that never met me to see if my reasons are real. Meanwhile sight in my left eye is fading.
        >
        > I am getting too old for these five hundred mile, two or three day round trips by bus. Then there is geting my walker loaded and unloaded.
        >
        > Blessed Be,
        > Christopher

        Trust me, Chris, I do understand. I am still, 16 years later, still trying to get the VA to recognize my disability claim. So far, as far as they are concerned, I am in perfect health and they still deny my skin condition is a result of Agent Orange, that I do not have PTSD, that the cyst still wrapped around my tailbone doesn't exist, etc.

        All that being said I will stick to my position that if the VA puts up any fight against Druid or Heathen insignias, at least while we still have this President in office, they will be a pushover. After all, Barack Obama does NOT want his administration seen as being prejudiced against and group, especially a group that is a religious minority, a group that is made up of veterans - some of which HE ordered to Iraq and Afghanistan.

        As of 2013, if a new President is elected, the situation may shift but I still think we can create such a PR firestorm that no administration can stand against us. And yes, I am still willing to go to DC and get my butt arrested if necessary to get the publicity that the issue may require - and so too are a few others here.

        Bright and Blessed Yule to All
        Charles

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 18, 2010
          Charles,

          Just got back from my operation.

          Back from surgery. It seems to have gone
          fairly well as far as the operation. A far as
          getting around, I can see better. However
          I will have to await further healing to discover
          if I am going to be able to read with this
          right eye. Things remain rather distorted
          and that may or may stay that way as things
          have been distorted several operations back.

          I see to read much the same with my left eye
          but it gets a little confusing looking at my
          keyboard portion my computer as both eyes
          don't see the same direction or the same way.
          So far it has not bothered me on book reading.
          Now I am just learning about how it affects my
          monitor reading. If worse comes to worse though,
          I can just close my right eye.

          Meanwhile next week I start out again just time
          trying to convince some new doctors how more
          benefits I am going to need as I can see less than
          I did a couple of years ago.

          As to getting your butt busted again. Have you
          developed any reliable people in the media to
          report on what you do. You have to be your own
          PR man, and that includes all the information in
          convenient sound bites if need be. But certainly
          press releases easy enough for the dumbest media
          person.

          Very few media people seem to know how, or to bother,
          to research on the story they are writing. So if the
          press release is short and sweet, it just might get
          published as it or repeated as it. You probably know
          all that stuff, as we Pagans have to be just as good at
          handling the media as everyone else is.

          I noticed a few years back the Cherry Hill Seminary
          already sponsored a class in it taught by an old Pagan
          media person.

          But if the media ignores you, no one hear a about what
          you and I as Pagans do, even less likely that the national
          media picks it up. It is one skill that I know is weak in the
          Wiccan community in general through we do have a few
          that are good at making use of the media.

          Every group that hopes to make use of the media needs
          at least one person who is skilled at it and that all media
          is directed to for any questions. This includes giving the
          media a very "guided tour" of what is happening and who
          is doing what.

          Meanwhile if you are going to do something, let me know
          so I can interview you about it. We can at least get it around
          some of the Pagan community here, in Canada, Europe, even
          Russia. Some of those groups might be able to pass it around.
          Networking is part of what i dod, within what readers that I have.