JUST LETTING YOU KNOW...

  • De
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010

      HI ALL...
      JUST A FEW LINES TO CATCH EVERYONE UP ON WHAT HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS THAT HAS LEAD TO ME BEING OFF LINE.

        AS MOST OF YOU KNOW I HAVE A CHRONIC PAIN DISORDER CALLED RSD/CRPS(REFLEX SYMPATHETIC DYSTROPHY/COMPLEX REGIONAL PAIN SYNDROME) FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW THE ENDS AND OUTS OF IT DROP ME A LINE AND I'LL EXPLAIN IT.
        THERE IS NO CURE JUST PAIN MGT. AND THAT IS UP TO THE GODDESS BECAUSE IT DEPENDS ON THE DR. YOU ARE SEEING AND HOW MUCH THEY KNOW.
        I HAVE HAD A MORPHINE PUMP IMPLANTED SINCE JULY OF 1999, #2 WENT IN FEB. 21, 2002, #3 WENT IN MARCH 19,2008 AND #4 ON DEC. 23, 2009.
        IN CASE YOU NOTICED THERE WAS JUST OVER A YEAR BETWEEN PUMP #1&2.  PUMP 1 WORKED WHEN IT WANTED TO SO THEY HAD TO CHANGE IT OUT. PUMP 2 LASTED ALMOST 7 YEARS BEFORE THEY HAVE TO CHANGE IT BEFORE THE BATTERY WENT DEAD. THEN PUMP #3...THAT'S WHERE THE STORY ABOUT THE LAST FEW MONTHS COMES IN...HERE'S WHERE A POTTY BREAK AND A DRINK MAY COME IN HANDY.

        RIGHT AFTER I HAD THAT PUMP PUT IN I STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS.  SOME MAY REMEMBER ME HAVING TO FIGHT CELLULITIS OVER AND OVER.  CELLULITIS IS AN INFECTIONN IN THE  SKIN USUALLY CAUSED BY AN INJURY OR TEAR IN THE SKIN IN THE EFFECTED AREA.  WELL I HAD 9 COUNT 'EM 9 BOUTS WITH IT IN LESS THAN A YEAR.  I HAD SWELLING ARO0UND THE AREA WHERE THE PUMP IS.  THERE WAS NO REDNESS AT ALL.  WHEN I'D ASK MY DR. ABOUT IT SHE TOLD ME THAT "HEN WOMEN GET TO BE MY AGE(RIGHT BEFORE MY 46TH B-DAY) SWELLING IN THE TUMMY IN NORMAL."  KEEP IN MIND THAT SHE NEVER LOOKED AT ME.

        THIS DR. AND HER HUBBY(HER PARTNER) CLOSED THEIR DOORS WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE UNTIL IT WAS OVER WITH.
        DUE TO THE UN-STERILE WAY SHE FILLED MY PUMP SHE CAUSED A MASSIVE INFECTION IN AND AROUND THE PUMP.  IT GOT TO THE POINT THAT IF I BUMPED THE AREA WHERE THE PUMP WAS IT WOULD TAKE ME TO MY KNEES.
       I FOUND A GREAT NEW PAIN DR. IN TOWN.  THE FIRST TIME WE MET(IN HER HALLWAY OF ALL THINGS) THE FIRST WORDS OUT OF HER MOUTH WERE"WE HAVE TO GET THAT PUMP OUT IT'S INFECTED." SO ON OCT. 23, 2009 OUT IT CAME.  THINGS WENT DOWN HILL AND TO HELL FROM THERE.
        ON 10/20/09 I HAD TO HAVE A GROSHRON CATH PUT IT, IT'S LIKE A CENTRAL LINE JUST NOT BEHIND THE COLLAR BONE AND MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE TO HAVE IN PLACE.  THEY DID THIS BECAUSE IT TAKES ANY WHERE FROM 7-12 STICKS TO START AN IV ON ME.  I WAS ON IV ANTIBIOTICS FOR 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE SURGERY AND WAS TO BE ON THEM FOR 2 WEEKS AFTER BUT...I WAS ALLERGIC TO THE FIRST ONES THEN THEY GAVE MY VANCOMYCIN(SP?) AND WENT IN TO COMPLETE KIDNEY FAILURE.

        I SPENT MORE OF NOV. IN THE HOSPITAL THAN I DID OUT.  I WAS HOME FOR 5 DAYS IN NOV.  WHEN THEY DID THE PUMP REMOVAL I DEVELOPED A SPINAL HEADACHE SO THEY DID A BLOOD PATCH THEN I FELL INTO THE LESS THAN 2% THAT NEEDED ANOTHER ONE!  ( BLOOD PATCH IS WHERE THEY TAKE BLOOD FROM YOUR ARM AND PUT IT IN YOUR SPINE TO COVER THE AREA THEY WENT INTO YOUR SPINAL COLUMN AT.  WORKS IN SECONDS)
        WHILE I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL THE END OF OCT. , MY MOM CAME INTO MY ROOM AND HAD TO TELL ME MY NEPHEW WAS KILLED IN AFGHANISTAN, HE WAS 23 WITH A 19 MONTH OLD BABY.  BRANDON K. STEFFEY WAS MARRIED TO MY NIECE.

        WE WERE GETTING READY TO GO TO TX FOR HIS SERVICES WHEN I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE KIDNEY FAILURE.  AFTER TALKING TO MY SISTER(SHE'S BEEN AN ER RN FOR ALMOST 15 YEARS) I HAD TO MAKE ONE OF THE HARDEST DECISIONS IN MY LIFE...I DID NOT GO.  I KNOW IN MY SOUL  IF I WOULD HAVE TRIED TO MAKE THE 8&1/2 HOUR DRIVE 1 WAY I WOULD HAVE DIED.  MY SISTER AGREED WITH ME THAT MY DEATH WASN'T SOMETHING HER DAUGHTER NEEDED ON HER MIND, IF SOMETHING WOULD HAVE HAPPENED TO HER "AUNT NENISE" SHE WOULD HAVE NEVER FORGIVEN HERSELF.
        I GOT A CALL AT 4:45PM FROM A DR. IN LUBBOCK(3.5HOUR DRIVE FROM HERE) WANTING TO KNOW IF I COULD BE IN HIS OFFICE BY 5:00!  I EXPLAINED THAT I WAS STAYING WITH FRIENDS BECAUSE THE REST OF THE FAMILY WAS AT MY NEPHEWS SERVICES.  THEY CALLED AGAIN AT 8AM, I EXPLAINED THINGS AGAIN, THEY TOLD ME TO GO TO THE LOCAL ER AND HAVE THEM MEDI-VAC ME OUT OF HERE.  I CALLED MY SISTER AND TOLD HER I HAD A RIDE(FRIEND OFFERED TO DRIVE ME) SHE HIT THE ROOF!!!  I WAS IN COMPLETE 100% KIDNEY FAILURE AND HAD NO BUSINESS GOING ANYWHERE FOR THAT LONG IN A AMBULANCE LET ALONE A PRIVATE CAR...SO OFF TO THE ER I WENT.  I WAS WITHIN 20 MINUTES OF GETTING SHIPPED OUT OF HER WHEN DR.S CHANGED SHIFTS.  THE NEW DR. IN LUBBOCK SAID MY KIDNEY'S WERE TRYING TO RECOVER ON THEIR OWN AND WITH EVERYTHING ELSE GOING ON WE NEEDED TO GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO TO SO, HE THEN SAID THE TRAUMA FROM THE E-VAC LET ALONE THE SURGERY TO HAVE A SHUNT PUT IN SO I COULD HAVE DIALYSIS THEN THE DIALYSIS WERE TRAUMA'S I DID NOT NEED.

        SO I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING FOR MY LIFE, NOT KIDDING, MY LIFE!  IT WAS A LONG AND HARD FIGHT, WANTED TO GIVE UP MORE THAN ONCE BUT HAVE TOO MANY IMPORTANT THINGS YET UN-DONE AND TOO MANY IMPORTANT PEOPLE MET AND UN-MET LEFT IN THIS LIFETIME TO LEAVE IT JUST NOW...LOL

        I JUST WANTED TO SAY SORRY FOR REPEATING THE INFORMATION TO THOSE WHO ALREADY KNEW PART OF IT.  I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I HAVEN'T FALLEN OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH AND THE WELL WISHES AND GOOD THOUGHTS MEAN MORE THAN WORDS COULD EVER EXPRESS.  TO THOSE WHO GOT IN TOUCH WHEN BRANDON DIED I LOVE YOU ALL.

        I SEND YOU ALL LOVE, LIGHT AND PEACE.
        BLESSED BE...DE

    • Georgia Langley
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010
        Oh my gosh De.  You really have been through it.  I want to say I'm so sorry for the loss of your nephew.

        I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

        Hugs
        Georgia
      • Morgan
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2010
          At 04:00 PM 2/11/2010, you wrote:
          >HI ALL...
          >JUST A FEW LINES TO CATCH EVERYONE UP ON WHAT HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR
          >THE LAST FEW MONTHS THAT HAS LEAD TO ME BEING OFF LINE.
          >
          > AS MOST OF YOU KNOW I HAVE A CHRONIC PAIN DISORDER CALLED
          > RSD/CRPS(REFLEX SYMPATHETIC DYSTROPHY/COMPLEX REGIONAL PAIN
          > SYNDROME) FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW THE ENDS AND OUTS OF IT DROP ME
          > A LINE AND I'LL EXPLAIN IT.
          > THERE IS NO CURE JUST PAIN MGT. AND THAT IS UP TO THE GODDESS
          > BECAUSE IT DEPENDS ON THE DR. YOU ARE SEEING AND HOW MUCH THEY KNOW.

          As another person living with CRPS, you have my prayers. Mine is
          still limited to one foot, and has been mostly in remission for a
          while, for which I'm exceedingly grateful, CRPS being the ticksy
          thing it is. May the gods send you doctors who know what they're
          doing, and keep the others away from you.

          Morgan /|\
          Morgan /|\
          The three foundations of Spirituality: Hearth as
          altar, work as worship, and service as sacrament.